Question Help, I think I broke my PC ?

Jun 29, 2021
Hello, I need some help with my PC as I think I may have fried it :(

I was trying to get the PC ready for windows 11 and turned on TPM, rebooted and ran the tool to see if Windows 11 would work and it said that I needed to turn on secure boot, went back into the BIOS and activated secure boot. The next bit I am not 100% sure on what was said however it was something like needed profile key or something similar which I activated, said one wasn’t assigned and did I want to use the default. I said yes and rebooted.

The PC now has black screen and beeps 5 times but if I remove the GPU it will boot to BIOS but wont boot to windows, BIOS looks different and also says it cant find any boot drives.
Its Gigabyte z370p d3 MB which says the 5 beeps are a CPU issue but why does it not show the boot drives? I have also tried to reset the BIOS with no luck

Any help would be greatly received as I can't afford to replace any parts and need the PC for working from home.

Jun 29, 2021
Hello, sorry i thought i had mentioned that I tried a CMOS reset, without the GPU in it will boot to the BIOS which looks different now with less options than before but wont boot to windows and shows that there are no available boot devices.

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
Hello, sorry i thought i had mentioned that I tried a CMOS reset, without the GPU in it will boot to the BIOS which looks different now with less options than before but wont boot to windows and shows that there are no available boot devices.
What is strange is that the bios looks different than from before? Can you list us all your PC Hardware? Also check your BIOS version with the newest ones. Don't know how old your PC is, but older Motherboards can have compatibility issues with newer parts and sometimes needs to have the BIOS flashed.

Jun 29, 2021
I will show a photo of what the BIOS looks like now when I get home but its like some options are not there anymore, my hardware is as below and was working fine for around 1 year before I stupidly started messing with BIOS settings :(

Gigabyte z370p d3 motherboard
Intel Core i5-9600K 6-Core 3.7GHz
GTX 1070 GPU (not sure of the brand)
I have a HDD and a SSD (samsung)

When I installed the CPU i had to do a BIOS update to allow it to use the 9th GEN CPU so the version must be at least version F12 from March 2019 but I suspect new than that, i will check that again later.

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
I will show a photo of what the BIOS looks like now when I get home but its like some options are not there anymore, my hardware is as below and was working fine for around 1 year before I stupidly started messing with BIOS settings :(

Gigabyte z370p d3 motherboard
Intel Core i5-9600K 6-Core 3.7GHz
GTX 1070 GPU (not sure of the brand)
I have a HDD and a SSD (samsung)

When I installed the CPU i had to do a BIOS update to allow it to use the 9th GEN CPU so the version must be at least version F12 from March 2019 but I suspect new than that, i will check that again later.
It's okay we all make stupid mistakes from time to time, we will be waiting for your feedback and hopefully we can get you back up and running again.

BIOS looking different? Probably it just switched view from Advanced mode to Basic mode when you reset CMOS. You can switch it back to Advanced (details of how to do vary with motherboard).
As for Secure boot: the common reason it shows no drives is that it can only see drives with GPT partition. If your system was set up on MBR partition it is 'invisible' now.
Now, as far as I understand it resetting the BIOS will not disable Secure boot, so you have to do it manually to be able to get your system back to working. But I could be wrong here.

Jun 29, 2021
In the BIOS it shows secure boot as off no which I weird, hopefully photos of the BIOS will make things clearer for you guys as I dont really know when I am looking at.

Jun 29, 2021
Hi all, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I went home and had another claim look at the PC and secure boot was still turned on in the BIOS, I switched this off and its now working again fine.

Lessoned learned and I won't be messing around in the BIOS again, well not without checking what affects changing the settings could have.

Jun 29, 2021
I'm back onto this and trying to set things up for Windows 11, as I understand it I need TPM 2.0 switched on whcih I have done but also secure boot. I have turned that on after switching off CSM. Now whenever I reboot the PC it boots straight into BIOS and my SSD which is my boot drive doesn't show up. Every reboot just takes me back to BIOS until I turn off secure boot and go back to CSM. What am I missing here?