[SOLVED] Help! I think I lost all my data! (xfer from asus x99 pro (intel) to msi x570 tomahawk (Amd))

Forkinator

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Help! i cant get my data back. This has been a nightmare and I am going to go crazy!

I will start with my specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x CPU
RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Samsung 840 Evo (Windows Drive)
2X Western Digital Raptors 10k rpm HDD in RAID 0
Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB - 3200mhz Ram
Corsair ax1200W PSU

Now the specs of the system i upgraded from is similar. Only difference*(listed below) from the old system is a different mobo, cpu. I added the 980 pro m.2 drive to the new system.

Intel i7 5930k
Asus x99 Pro usb3.1

I had the 2 WD Raptors in raid 0 on the x99 system and had windows installed on the 840 evo. The 840 pro was for games. I dont know how to get them back with all my data. I updated to the latest bios (new one came out today), and downloaded the amd driver tool that checks which drivers you need and installs them. It installed chipset drivers and ahci/raid drivers i believe.

Still, my raptors were not labeled as drives. They were showing as partitions in disk partition manager in windows and they show up in bios as well.

This is where it gets good. I changed the sata controller mode from ahci to raid to see if it would help, and then it wouldnt even boot to windows. I went in bios and checked the amd raid setup tool and there was an option to look at the drives. In that tool, it shows each of the drives. I cant tell if it sees the raptor drives as a striped pair, or if its only showing 1 drive.

I went back and set my controller to ahci (btw, bios is set as uefi, not csm). Now it wont boot into windows from my ssd!

It shows the drives in bios too. When i restart, it just keeps going to uefi bios.

It also doesnt show the 980 pro in windows. I even did a secure erase on the drive in bios.

I dont have a spare computer that I can put these drives in! This is such a mess.

Is this because I moved from an intel chipset to amd?

Please, someone help!

Last edited:
Solution
... I know for sure I created the array in bios on the asus x99 pro.
The array information was stored on the Intel RAID controller on the Asus x99 motherboard.
The controller on the new motherboard does not have any data how to proceed.

The more important stuff is on the 850 evo with windows on it.
The last time you remember installing Windows while on the Asus motherboard...was the the drive you wiped (980 pro ) also plugged in? While installing Windows disconnect any other drives, since Windows setup might write booting partitions to more than one drive. If you remove one of the drives, Windows might stop booting.

I just now tried to boot from it, but its telling me there is no operating system on it. I am not...
I hope you did not "Initialized" the RAID after moving it.

How did you setup the RAID Hardware (controller) or software (Windows)?

The most important thing to do when moving a RAID volume is to back it up. Even when moving it to similar hardware (controller).
I wished you have come here before moving the RAID volume from one system to another.

If the drives appear as regular drives, the array information could have been stored on the Intel RAID controller. For that move to work the array information should be stored on the drives.

DATA you deem important should not be saved only on RAID 0, since there isn't any redundancy (backup). If one of the drives fails, you lose all the data on all of the drives.

Forkinator

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
I hope you did not "Initialized" the RAID after moving it.

The most important thing to do when moving a RAID volume is to back it up. Even when moving it to similar hardware (controller).
I wished you have come here before moving the RAID volume from one system to another.

If the drives appear as regular drives, the array information could have been stored on the Intel RAID controller.
For that move to work the array information should be stored on the drives.

How did you setup the RAID Hardware or software?

DATA you deem important should not be saved only on RAID 0, since there isn't any redundancy (backup). If one of the drives fails, you lose all the data on all of the drives.

Hello, and thank you so much for the response; I really appreciate it.

I created the array on the x99 in bios a while ago. I also installed intel rst drivers and chipset drivers which I think came with raid drivers, but I am not sure if the chipset drivers did actually come with raid drivers. Maybe windows 10 did? I know for sure I created the array in bios on the asus x99 pro.

the data on the raid array is not super important, but there is still a good amount of data that I would like to retrieve.

I just now tried to boot from it, but its telling me there is no operating system on it. I am not sure what to do at this point. I have the bios set to default settings now (ahci, eufi). I wish I was smarter about this. Wish I came here earlier.

Relax and stay calm. I think your system has been affected by the same problem that has affected other people who have moved their HDD to a Win 10 / AMD Ryzen platform. The fix for the SSD should be relatively easy in such cases.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE? This should take less than a minute. No need for a full scan.

https://dmde.com/

... I know for sure I created the array in bios on the asus x99 pro.
The array information was stored on the Intel RAID controller on the Asus x99 motherboard.
The controller on the new motherboard does not have any data how to proceed.

The last time you remember installing Windows while on the Asus motherboard...was the the drive you wiped (980 pro ) also plugged in? While installing Windows disconnect any other drives, since Windows setup might write booting partitions to more than one drive. If you remove one of the drives, Windows might stop booting.

I just now tried to boot from it, but its telling me there is no operating system on it. I am not sure what to do at this point. I have the bios set to default settings now (ahci, eufi). I wish I was smarter about this. Wish I came here earlier.
All the data should be on the 840 Evo. It is just the system partition (boot partition) that needs to be repaired.

Remove all drives and just leave the 840 Evo connected.
Reset the BIOS to default (in case you have made changes that will prevent Windows from booting.)
Create a Windows USB installation media
Boot the PC with the USB installation media
When you get to the Setup window with the Install now button, click the Repair your computer link (bottom right corner).
Click the Troubleshoot button.
Click the Advanced options button.
Click the Startup Repair button.
Select your account.
Type your account password.
Click the Continue button.
Startup Repair will scan, detect, and try to fix any problems that may be preventing Windows from loading correctly.

By the way. when upgrading to a diferente platform, a clean Windows installation is recommended...especially when going from Intel to AMD or viceversa.
You will encounter issues (errors, hangs crashes, etc.), that you won't be able to troubleshoot, since Windows and apps installed where configured and optimized for the Intel platform.

I would suggest you perform a clean Windows installation on the 840 Pro. When done with the Windows setup, plug the 840 Evo and retrieve your personal files and folders or copy them to the 840 Pro.

Solution