[SOLVED] Help I think I purchased the wrong motherboard

May 9, 2020
Help I just purchased an Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 x58 only to find out it's not compatible with intel.. I bought it cause my recently purchased used asus p6t deluxe v2 was shocked by a bad PSU it was my first build lol so anyways now I'm pretty much stuck can I sell the board or do I buy a used CPU because it has to be a AM3 from what I understand these CPUs go for crazy prices on ebay.. I just want to run Adobe programs mostly illustrator and maybe play snowrunner

Solution
Help I just purchased an Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 x58 only to find out it's not compatible with intel.. I bought it cause my recently purchased used asus p6t deluxe v2 was shocked by a bad PSU it was my first build lol so anyways now I'm pretty much stuck can I sell the board or do I buy a used CPU because it has to be a AM3 from what I understand these CPUs go for crazy prices on ebay.. I just want to run Adobe programs mostly illustrator and maybe play snowrunner
Yes, you did buy the wrong motherboard. a 990fx motherboard IS an AM3+ motherboard. It won't work with an Intel CPU.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, you did buy the wrong motherboard. a 990fx motherboard IS an AM3+ motherboard. It won't work with an Intel CPU.

Solution
May 9, 2020
Yes thank you I realize that, but it's too late because I bought it on eBay... is there any AM3 processor that will work good for illustrator and light gaming

Investing money in the FM3+ platform is very hard to justify, its very weak. About the best you can run is a FX8350 or similar FX8XXX. However they are all very weak and below modern entry level CPU’s. They will also need a good cpu cooler as they run hot and have a low temperature threshold.

May 9, 2020
Ok so I talked to an expert and he says I can build a decent PC that's up to date for around $300 and at this point I'm willing to scrap my build plan cause the PSU likely fried everything... Where is a good place to start??

Ok so I talked to an expert and he says I can build a decent PC that's up to date for around $300 and at this point I'm willing to scrap my build plan cause the PSU likely fried everything... Where is a good place to start??
I think your expert is a little off base saying you can get a modern system for 300 bucks. Unless getting excellent deals on all used parts, 300 isnt likely to come close to anything resembling a modern system.

Are you needing a full build? Cpu/board/ram only? Anything salvageable from your previous build?

If needing a full build, even a ryzen igpu build would be closer to 400 with a psu and drives.

What is your actual budget and what do you need? Or are you still planning on using the am3+ board you have?

Ryzen is a great place to start! But a cpu/board/ram combo is likely to set you back near enough that 300 mark.

Reactions: Kev-man
May 9, 2020
It's likely the PSU fried my ram but it's just ddr3 and maybe the old 2gb GPU but I do have some USB 3.0 slots that were never installed so ddr4 would be ideal and also something NVMe compatible and definitely a Ryzen cpu I already purchased a new EVGA 550 bronze PSU and I do realize I'm probably looking at closer to $400+ which is fine maybe I can sell that old sabertooth board either way no biggie

May 9, 2020
It's likely the PSU fried my ram but it's just ddr3 and maybe the old 2gb GPU but I do have some USB 3.0 slots that were never installed so ddr4 would be ideal and also something NVMe compatible and definitely a Ryzen cpu I already purchased a new EVGA 550 bronze PSU and I do realize I'm probably looking at closer to $400+ which is fine maybe I can sell that old sabertooth board either way no biggie
Oh I also have a few fans...