[SOLVED] Help! I think I screwed my motherboard standoff to far.

Nov 17, 2020
Hi,

I'm not sure if this would be best for motherboards or cases. I'm new to pc building, but I know everything I need to know. Except this. I couldn't find anyone with this problem anywhere. When I received my case, I also got motherboard standoffs to screw in my self. A few of them where a bit tricky where it would feel like I had screwed them all the way in, but I could still see the threads and the thicker part of the stand off wasn't touching or super close to the case. One of the stand offs was weird, but I eventually screwed it in. Just a little more twisting and I went sort of into the case. (not the way its supposed to) Compared to the other stand offs it looked fine, and at the back of the case were the screws are visible, they all looked fine including that one. I think I might have screwed in the standoff a little to far. The location of it is at the 3 motherboard standoffs at the bottom, the one in the middle is the one I screwed in too far. The bottom being where the front panel connectors are and such. Here are my options 1. Take the stand off out and don't worry about it. 2. Leave the standoff in, and just don't screw it in to give it some support. 3. Use something to grip the stand off in the back and then screw in the motherboard screw. 4. Any other ideas. Also my case is the fractal design meshify c white, and my motherboard is the asrock b450 steel legend (ATX)

Solution
Really sorry guys, just had a light bulb moment. I figured it out-The standoff was being weird, and would sometimes catch, that was what happened. I just didn't screw it in all the way. Thanks for the help though. I just wasn't thinking.
Nov 17, 2020
No. The only one that was installed was the one used to align the motherboard in the center. I had to install all the other ones myself, all of them went in fine except for the middle bottom one. I guess my question is, should I just take the stand off out and not worry about it?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this would be best for motherboards or cases. I'm new to pc building, but I know everything I need to know. Except this. I couldn't find anyone with this problem anywhere. When I received my case, I also got motherboard standoffs to screw in my self. A few of them where a bit tricky where it would feel like I had screwed them all the way in, but I could still see the threads and the thicker part of the stand off wasn't touching or super close to the case. One of the stand offs was weird, but I eventually screwed it in. Just a little more twisting and I went sort of into the case. (not the way its supposed to) Compared to the other stand offs it looked fine, and at the back of the case were the screws are visible, they all looked fine including that one. I think I might have screwed in the standoff a little to far. The location of it is at the 3 motherboard standoffs at the bottom, the one in the middle is the one I screwed in too far. The bottom being where the front panel connectors are and such. Here are my options 1. Take the stand off out and don't worry about it. 2. Leave the standoff in, and just don't screw it in to give it some support. 3. Use something to grip the stand off in the back and then screw in the motherboard screw. 4. Any other ideas. Also my case is the fractal design meshify c white, and my motherboard is the asrock b450 steel legend (ATX)
So much text. A photo would explain the situation much better.
Can you make a photo?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Nov 17, 2020
Really sorry guys, just had a light bulb moment. I figured it out-The standoff was being weird, and would sometimes catch, that was what happened. I just didn't screw it in all the way. Thanks for the help though. I just wasn't thinking.

Solution
Good you figured it out.

A couple of tricks when screwing things in:

1. Buy yourself a long #2 magnetic tip screwdriver.

2. When screwing something in, give it a counter clockwise turn until you hear/feel a click.
That means that the screw is ready to catch when you screw it in clockwise.

3. On anything, do not overtighten the screws.
Snug is enough.

4. Test fit a screw with your fingers before using. Many screws look similar but have different threads. Using the wrong screw will damage something.

FWIW for a first time builder:

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.ebay.com/p/4in1-PC-Powe...or-Computer/631889283?iid=142232821294&chn=ps

1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
  1. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
  2. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
  3. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
  4. Install windows.
  5. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
  1. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft defender is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
  2. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
  1. Update windows to currency.
  2. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
  3. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.

Reactions: Mherrmann2