Question Help. i think my card is dead.

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
i bought a msi rtx 3060ti from facebook marketplace about a month ago.

for about a month its all working fine.

then yesterday i left my pc on the login screen because i was going to be away from my device for a while, i come back and the screen is black and my computer is making a really really loud noise like a jet engine. long story short i diagnose it to be the gpu. i have a spare 750ti on hand so i swap the card out and it doesn't have an issue loading into windows.

if i leave the 3060ti long enough. i can get into windows but as soon as it loads in i have a red background and then it will go black and the fans will make the really loud noise again.

i think that the 3060ti i bought was a used mining card and it was showing issues before i bought it. so basically i got scammed out of a card and £340.

not all is lost, i have a new 3060ti on the way.

From your description, most likely your GPU migth be dead, or showing signs of age. Why did you buy a MINING card in the first place ? And, if it was showing issues beforehand, then you shouldn't have bought such a GPU, just to save some cash.

For gaming, never buy a used mining GPU. Check the GPU on some other PC if possible, to rule out any dead card issues.

EDIT:

What's the make and model of your current PSU/power supply ? Full PC specs ?

Reactions: Tac 25

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
From your description, most likely your GPU migth be dead, or showing signs of age. Why did you buy a MINING card in the first place ? And, if it was showing issues beforehand, then you shouldn't have bought such a GPU, just to save some cash.

For gaming, never buy a used mining GPU. Check the GPU on some other PC if possible, to rule out any dead card issues.

EDIT:

What's the make and model of your current PSU/power supply ? Full PC specs ?

The guy who i bought it from told me that it was barely used and looking at the card you could of sworn it came straight out the box. He never told me that it was used for mining. It's not a LHR model card.

My Specs are ryzen 5 6500 non x, 48gb of ddr4, 2 SSD's, 2 HDD's, 1 NVME drive, all sat on a seasonic 650w gold psu. nvidia recommends a 650w for a 3070 so i wouldn't of thought the psu was underspec?

DSzymborski

Titan
The guy who i bought it from told me that it was barely used and looking at the card you could of sworn it came straight out the box. He never told me that it was used for mining. It's not a LHR model card.

Here's the problem.

This is what a new MSI RTX 3060 Ti looks like out of the box.

Untitled.png

This is what an MSI RTX 3060 Ti looks like after months of being abused by an incompetent miner.

Untitled.png

They're the same image.

In other words, a GPU is not like a car or a lawn mower. One doesn't have any telltale signs of misuse after cleaning other than actual physical damage. You're basically relying not on an odometer or an inspection, which are very useful when getting a used car, but simply on the word of the person you're buying it from. If you don't know the person, you have to put the cost of not knowing them as quite high.

You can always try an RMA. Companies will frequently allow an RMA based on the serial number without requiring a receipt. I can't speak for MSI, but EVGA is excellent when it comes to this.

Reactions: Tac 25

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
Here's the problem.

This is what a new MSI RTX 3060 Ti looks like out of the box.

Untitled.png

This is what an MSI RTX 3060 Ti looks like after months of being abused by an incompetent miner.

Untitled.png

They're the same image.

In other words, a GPU is not like a car or a lawn mower. One doesn't have any telltale signs of misuse after cleaning other than actual physical damage. You're basically relying not on an odometer or an inspection, which are very useful when getting a used car, but simply on the word of the person you're buying it from. If you don't know the person, you have to put the cost of not knowing them as quite high.

You can always try an RMA. Companies will frequently allow an RMA based on the serial number without requiring a receipt. I can't speak for MSI, but EVGA is excellent when it comes to this.

I've just tried to RMA it and i need a lot of information that i dont have. so im SOL with this i think...

TRENDING THREADS