Help! I think my Windows 8 is corrupt!

Irrelative

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
I'll run you down on what exactly happened.

I bought my new gaming PC, and downloaded all of the things that I needed.

I find that everything is downloading to my SSD instead of my HDD.

I look up how to change that, and I went to regedit.exe and all of that, I did what the video said, I didn't have everything that was listed so I skipped some steps.

I restarted my PC and all of a sudden, the boot time is much slower, the computer itself is slower, and things that I downloaded won't run! I tried doing a Restore to factory settings, but that wouldn't open. And I tried to delete and reinstall some of my files such as xFire and when they get to my HDD as a setup file, they won't open!

Please help me fix my PC!

Solution

I look up how to change that, and I went to regedit.exe and all of that, I did what the video said, I didn't have everything that was listed so I skipped some steps.

There is a much easier way to do that rather than mucking around in the Registry.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html

I didn't have everything that was listed so I skipped some steps.
That probably wasn't a good idea.

How old is this installation? If not very, I'd just suggest starting over with a fresh reinstall. Once things get screwed up, it often takes longer to 'fix', than to do it right from the beginning.

USAFRet

Titan

There is a much easier way to do that rather than mucking around in the Registry.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html

I didn't have everything that was listed so I skipped some steps.
That probably wasn't a good idea.

How old is this installation? If not very, I'd just suggest starting over with a fresh reinstall. Once things get screwed up, it often takes longer to 'fix', than to do it right from the beginning.

Solution

Irrelative

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

Fresh reinstall of Windows 8? Will this solve my problems? It's literally 24 hours fresh. But I don't have the disc with me... The people that built my PC have it.

USAFRet

Titan

Whoever you bought it from, they are *required* to give you a copy of the installation media. You might have to ask for it, but somewhere there has to be a way to bring it back to original.

Where did you get this PC?

And yes....a full reinstall will 'fix it'. Then you can go through the steps in that tutorial to redirect where files go, instead of all on the SSD. It is very, very easy. No Registry alterations needed.
I use that method, I wrote the tutorial...it works.

Irrelative

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS