[SOLVED] Help! I think one of my fans on a ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING is starting to die!

Robby Shorts

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016
60
0
10,540
1
Hey guys, yesterday when I was playing PUBG, I noticed an odd burning smell coming from my PC. Along with this for the past 2 days, I noticed that when my PC was idle (so GPU fans should be off, or at least on a low setting) I would hear the GPU fan speed rev up and get to be pretty loud for maybe 5 seconds and then rev down for about 5 seconds, as if it was "breathing".

I took off a side panel and inspected everything, and I noticed that one of the 3 GPU fans was spinning not as fast as the other 2. Also, it seemed to wobble a little bit while spinning, whereas the other 2 didn't.
While the PC was just idling, I had the GPU fans off and then with MSI afterburner, I ramped up the fan speeds and watched my GPU fans the whole time. I noticed that this one fan didn't start to spin when the other 2 did. It took a few seconds for it to finally start to spin up.

Any advice bros? Thanks

EDIT: As I just finished writing this post, I started to play civ 5, and with the GPU usage at 92.6% for civ 5 (this old game is very resource demanding for some reason) I smell that burning smell again as the GPU fans are revved up, and they're somewhat doing that breathing effect :(
 

Ralston18

Titan
Moderator
Advice - yes!

Step 1: Stop.

Burning smell ----> smoke -----> fire ----> things get worse....

No more gaming for now.

Step 2. Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drives, make, model, capacity, how full?

Step 3. Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everywhere for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components or areas, cracks, swollen components, loose screws. Inspect fans for cracked blades, inability to freely spin, wobbling.

Step 4: Do not play again until the cause of the burning smell is found and eliminated.
 

Ralston18

Titan
Moderator
Advice - yes!

Step 1: Stop.

Burning smell ----> smoke -----> fire ----> things get worse....

No more gaming for now.

Step 2. Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drives, make, model, capacity, how full?

Step 3. Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everywhere for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components or areas, cracks, swollen components, loose screws. Inspect fans for cracked blades, inability to freely spin, wobbling.

Step 4: Do not play again until the cause of the burning smell is found and eliminated.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY