[SOLVED] Help! I want to install rgb fan!

Dec 24, 2020
My case has 2 fans that are 4-pin and i connected them to my motherboard when i first built it. A couple days later i wanted to install another fan for some better airflow. It turns out the fan is a 3-pin connecter. My motherboard is the Asrock b450m pro4. There is one slot in my motherboard that has 4-pins on top and 3-pins on the bottom. Underneath that it says "Power LED and Speaker Header (SPK_PLED1). Can i still plug my rgb fan into it? Will it harm my motherboard in any way?

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D

that is not the port your looking for. that is the power on LED, when you turn on the computer this LED is the visual cue its on, usually near power button, this cannot be used for RGB.
There is an Addressable RGB header on that board at the bottom under the PCIe slots - 4 pins white plastic header, labeled RGB.

check the manual for specifics I just found it looking at images of the motherboard

the speaker header near the Power on LED is the DIagnostic speaker header, connecting a speaker to that header will enable the motherboard to beep when there is a problem, one beep pattern for this issue, another beep pattern for the next. it helps with diagnosing why the system will not POST.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

that is not the port your looking for. that is the power on LED, when you turn on the computer this LED is the visual cue its on, usually near power button, this cannot be used for RGB.
There is an Addressable RGB header on that board at the bottom under the PCIe slots - 4 pins white plastic header, labeled RGB.

check the manual for specifics I just found it looking at images of the motherboard

the speaker header near the Power on LED is the DIagnostic speaker header, connecting a speaker to that header will enable the motherboard to beep when there is a problem, one beep pattern for this issue, another beep pattern for the next. it helps with diagnosing why the system will not POST.

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if you need more fans I would suggest a powered fan hub. just splitting (no power) the single header across multiple fans without boosting the power will slow the fans with each fan attached. a powered fan hub will take a power cable from a hard drive or SSD and use that to power the extra fans without burdening the motherboards power system.

Latest posts