[SOLVED] Help! i7-4790k Running hot

Boraes

Honorable
Apr 24, 2014
So I've replaced my mobo, CPU and case. Have built innumerable pc's for myself/friends/as pvt techie, but I've not be able to get the idle temp to go below 75c.

Board - Gigabyte Z97x - Gaming 7
CPU - i7 -4790k
Cooler - 360mm be quiet
GPU - GTX 1080 ti
Internal Case temp - 24-26c
I'm not running any OC, fans a orienteated the correct way.
Case open or closed makes no difference.
I've reseated the CPU several times and even used a different thermal paste, but nothing seems to make a jot of difference.

Really need some help, ideas and suggestions.

Solution
Looks like not a simple answer.
What is the make/model of your new case?
Where did you mount the radiator?
What is the orientation of the radiator fans?

Since you have tested the cooler elsewhere, it should be ok.

Since Z97 and 4790K are oldish tech, I presume you bought them used so they are suspect.

On the motherboard, are there any bios updates available that might address your issue?
CPU-Z will tell you your current bios level.
Has the motherboard bios been set to default?
Not "optimized" or anything similar.
Motherboard bios OC settings can be very aggressive.

Reseating a cpu is not a good idea. The socket is specked for only 15 insertions.
And, the pins are easily damaged if you are not careful.

Have you implemented...
If you bought your AIO cooler at the same time as your system, then I'd say the pump is probably dead and you'll have to replace the AIO cooler. 3-4 years is about the typical lifespan for these AIO coolers. Big air coolers are better if you are looking at longer term use for that reason.

Boraes

Honorable
Apr 24, 2014
If you bought your AIO cooler at the same time as your system, then I'd say the pump is probably dead and you'll have to replace the AIO cooler. 3-4 years is about the typical lifespan for these AIO coolers. Big air coolers are better if you are looking at longer term use for that reason.
The cooler is my existing one, only 2 years old, pump working, tested in a diff pc and no problems.

The cooler is my existing one, only 2 years old, pump working, tested in a diff pc and no problems.

If the cooler works in other systems, and you've done repeated remounts, then at this point your issues might be with the motherboard or CPU. Might be the CPU fan and/or pump header on the motherboard isn't working properly and the pump isn't working with that board, might be a bad temperature sensor in the CPU, might be that motherboard has some issues with temperature reporting (a BIOS update might fix this), or the CPU has a physical problem preventing proper contact with the cooler eg. deformed heatspreader, bad paste between the die and heatspreader. If you have some 3/4 pin fan to molex adapters you could try running the pump directly from the power supply and see if that works.

WaltzWorker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
So I've replaced my mobo, CPU and case. Have built innumerable pc's for myself/friends/as pvt techie, but I've not be able to get the idle temp to go below 75c.

Board - Gigabyte Z97x - Gaming 7
CPU - i7 -4790k
Cooler - 360mm be quiet
GPU - GTX 1080 ti
Internal Case temp - 24-26c
I'm not running any OC, fans a orienteated the correct way.
Case open or closed makes no difference.
I've reseated the CPU several times and even used a different thermal paste, but nothing seems to make a jot of difference.

Really need some help, ideas and suggestions.

LOOK AT YOUR VIN voltages on your of yourMotherboard!!! 1.9?!?! EEE Gads man! its pumping 1.992 in but your CPU has to dissipate that!

Looks like not a simple answer.
What is the make/model of your new case?
Where did you mount the radiator?
What is the orientation of the radiator fans?

Since you have tested the cooler elsewhere, it should be ok.

Since Z97 and 4790K are oldish tech, I presume you bought them used so they are suspect.

On the motherboard, are there any bios updates available that might address your issue?
CPU-Z will tell you your current bios level.
Has the motherboard bios been set to default?
Not "optimized" or anything similar.
Motherboard bios OC settings can be very aggressive.

Reseating a cpu is not a good idea. The socket is specked for only 15 insertions.
And, the pins are easily damaged if you are not careful.

Have you implemented speedstep?
With nothing to do, the multiplier and vcore should drop.
Check the multiplier and vcore with cpu-Z when idle.

Sometimes, used items are sold because they have a problem, you must consider the possibility that what you bought was a problem part.
If that is the case, I would bet on the motherboard;
Intel has very few problem chips.

Solution