Question HELP!!! i9-9900 seems to be running way too hot.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 16, 2019
I recently built a pc for After Effects, Premiere and C4D work after returning to the freelance life. I essentially decided to copy the Puget Systems build on their site. I've noticed that my temp readings are really high under load and it's affecting performance.
My system is below. Any suggestions on how to narrow down what's going on would be incredibly appreciated.
CPU temps immediately jump into the 90s-100 when the stress test starts (AIDA 64) and they often go into the upper 80s and 90s when rendering.
My studio space is on the 3rd floor with a window unit, so it's a little warmer but still probably in the mid to upper 70s (fahrenheit).

-i9-9900k
-Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM cooler
-Gigabyte z390 Designare ATX LGA 1151
-64 GB (CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666) X2
-Intel 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (startup)
-Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 (cache)
-Gigabyte OC RTX-2070
-Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case

Fingers crossed the mighty Noctua NH-D15 will do the job. A couple of things, even though the Fractal Design R6 is a great case, airflow is not it's strongest point. The Fractal Design Meshify S2 would have been the better bet for the 9900K, almost the same but the mesh panel helps a lot. Finally a 360mm AIO like the Corsair H150i Pro or similar would also do the job though I am betting the Noctua should handle the 9900K.

Sep 16, 2019
Rumor has it the latest version is no longer the 110% overload as it once was, and is 'approved'., so the 'use V26.6 only' caveat is no longer needed...(I tested both and found them to give the same temps now at least with my 7700K)

The poor NH-U12S looked to be less than half the mass/fin surface area of the D15....just not enough for a 9900K.

Hope the next cooler fairs better!

Got both versions now and hope to test them this weekend. Thanks for the added info!

Sep 16, 2019
Hey all.
So, some mixed news here.
Got the NH-D15 installed about 15 minutes ago. Started out by running AIDA64, which is what I've been using to monitor temps and test. Initial temps were good, but as soon as I started up the test, they jumped way up; not quite as high, but still upper 80s and some peaks into the mid 90s.
Decided to try Prime95 since everyone seems to recommend that. Just started that test and temps are better, but still climbing. Right now most cores are in the mid to upper 70s and some are peaking in the low 80s.
So, not sure if AIDA was part of the problem; still a little confused about the seemingly high temps, although just since I wrote the last 2 sentences we're back down to mid-70s averages.
This normal?
Any thoughts?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In AIDA64, did you have more than 1 test checked off? The more tests you have checked, the harder it's gonna smack the cpu.

Prime95:
-Which version did you run? For all past v26.6, did you disable all the AVX related options?
-Which test did you run? Small Fft? Large Fft? Blend?

Sep 16, 2019
I felt like the heat sink was kinda tricky to get set and screwed down. I had to push the spring-tensioned screws down a bit to get them to marry with the mounting bracket. Once they were threaded, everything felt smooth, but that did seem a bit odd. This is my first build, so I'm not super familiar with how things should feel.
But, I couldn't really see how it would be possible for the cooler to somehow be mis-aligned. Everything has very little wiggle room.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I ran 26.6
Blend test
Blend runs all the tests one at a time and loops until you stop it. That's fine too.

In AIDA I had everything checked except local disks and gpu
Wayyy too much. Only needed the one for cpu.
Now you know not to do that one again.

I felt like the heat sink was kinda tricky to get set and screwed down. I had to push the spring-tensioned screws down a bit to get them to marry with the mounting bracket. Once they were threaded, everything felt smooth, but that did seem a bit odd. This is my first build, so I'm not super familiar with how things should feel.
But, I couldn't really see how it would be possible for the cooler to somehow be mis-aligned. Everything has very little wiggle room.
If you're sure you followed the instructions to a T. I have the D15S, and recall mounting it to be pretty easy. Definitely easier than mounting a Hyper 212 EVO or any of the push pin coolers.

Temps currently around 40. Been at idle for the last 15-20 minutes.
40C idle is fine. If you were idling around, say, 50C, then you'd have a problem.
7820X here, and it sits between 35 - 40C on idle.

Sep 16, 2019
Ok, not sure what happened but things are much better.
I tried to set my Vcore lower (instead of auto). This resulted in the machine not posting. PANIC ensued.
I reset the CMOS and got everything back. Went into Bios and got my memory set correctly and adjusted my CPU fan curve to be a bit more aggressive (same as before).
Ran AIDA stress (CPU only) and max temps were in the mid-60s
Ran Prime95 stress (blend) and max temps were in the upper 50s-low 60s.
I'll let them go a bit longer, but it appears that there may have been something in the BIOS that was causing things to run too hot. I did try to overclock at some point, but I had thought I reset all my CPU stuff to auto. Maybe I missed something.
Anyway, as of right now things are looking much, much better.

Sep 16, 2019
That could be it, although I remembered that being turned on by default when I first started tweaking cpu settings in order to over clock. Either way, I’ll check to see where it’s set now when this Puget Systems after effects benchmark finishes

Sep 16, 2019
Well, that does appear to be the culprit. The default for "enhanced multi-core performance" is auto and not enabled.
Only problem is that in order to get things cooler I've taken a performance hit, albeit only in the benchmark test at this point. When I ran the test this morning I got a 947 out of 1000. AFter resetting BIOS and the multi-core back to auto, my score was 887. That's only a 6% drop in score, which isn't too bad I guess.

Sep 16, 2019
I don't see a way for me to mark this as "Solved." I would certainly say that's the case.
Thanks for all of the help on this. As a novice builder it was really great to get quick information from people who know what they're doing. Thank you again. This isn't a gaming rig, but the means by which I provide for my family so getting this solved quickly was a major deal.

In other news, I've got a perfectly good 1 month old NH-12S for sale!