Question [HELP] i9 9900k 5GHz 100c!

DiamondPuma

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
So, I've overclocked my 9900k to 5GHz with a liquid cooling loop that is feeding through a 480mm rad.

At first I noticed that my overclock was throttling ridiculous amounts, down to 3.8 and 3.6 GHz.

I tried: disabling AVX offset, Intel speed step, and re-seating the water block (I ran HWIN and found that all cores were running on the line of failure). I reapplied the thermal paste (the previous application was way too thin and there was almost no paste that transferred to the water block when I lifted it off the CPU. Okay, problem solved right? Clean application, checked to see if it was an even coat but not too much, and now it was making perfect contact with the water block!

Awesome! Perfect! Stable 5GHz here we come!

Fire the sucker up, throttling is less but it is still reaching 99c on all cores (-_-) ...

I went into the BiOS, some settings reset so I had to disable AVX offset and boom, now it holds the clock but it is still reaching 99c...

I don't know about you guys, but this seems very high and abnormal for this chip. People say that they are able to reach 5GHz stable clocks with less for their cooling loop. I know this chip runs hot given how many cores it has, but for a custom liquid cooling loop it should be sitting at high 70's low 80's with this clock, not 99c!!!

What's going on here?!

Last edited:

Wessam_1

Reputable
Apr 13, 2016
from my humble experience on overclocking, i say that voltage has the most impact on temps, even the slightest changes in voltage can make a noticeable difference in temps, maybe the people you talk about reached 5ghz was usuing more lower vcore than yours, try disabling auto and save power features for your voltage in bios and set a fixed vcore with lcc on turbo, and start from there, you can turn the power saving stuff later when you know which vcore is the lowest and best for your 5ghz

Reactions: DiamondPuma

DiamondPuma

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
from my humble experience on overclocking, i say that voltage has the most impact on temps, even the slightest changes in voltage can make a noticeable difference in temps, maybe the people you talk about reached 5ghz was usuing more lower vcore than yours, try disabling auto and save power features for your voltage in bios and set a fixed vcore with lcc on turbo, and start from there, you can turn the power saving stuff later when you know which vcore is the lowest and best for your 5ghz
Thanks! :)

I'll give it a try and let you know what the results were!