Help Identify an m.2 SanDisk ssd

fanatiqq

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
$_72.JPG

Guys, the owner claims it was from a Lenovo laptop, I can't find any info on google from the product code. Is this an M key ssd or an mSata? (doesn't look like an mSata but doesn't seem to have enough pins to be an M key)
Edit: Nevermind it says Sata as big as my head, but the pins confused me, shouldn't B key be on the left side of the disk? Or why are they 6?

Solution
Socket 3 = pcie x4 NVMe capable. Socket 2 = pcie x2 Sata only. 2242/2262/2280 is length and screw holes for mount capacity. You are golden :)

fanatiqq

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
I edited my main post earlier
Edit: Nevermind it says Sata as big as my head, but the pins confused me, shouldn't B key be on the left side of the disk? Or why are they 6?

Ok, found a post from 2015 and solved this issue
The first generation X1 Carbon SSD uses a proprietary interface. It's standard SATA signalling, but with a small form factor connector, sometimes called SanDisk 20+6.. The second and third generations use mSATA and M.2 cards (I forget which order)
So this isn't either mSata nor M.2 Sata is something created by SanDisk that probably died shortly after just like SataExpress

Actually Karadjgne, there are 3 types of m.2 drives M key, B key and M+B key and the first two look like mSata just with less pins on that small part, particularly 5 and 6 instead of 8 like mSata

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ssd is less important than the socket it's going into. Some sockets are rated as M key only, some are B key only, some are M+B key. That'll even change according to the mobo, like some mobo's with 2x m.2 ports will only run NVMe in the top slot as the pcie bus is x4 and kills 2x Sata ports when populated, vrs the second slot which is x1/x2 and kills just 1x Sata port. But that ssd pictured is mSata, just proprietary, it won't fit a standard m.2 M+B as they key slot prevents such usage.

However, you can use an adapter that changes the pins and will allow the ssd to fit standard ports,

fanatiqq

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
I didn't buy it yet, that's why i needed to find info about this strange form factor. I have M key on my desktop which means nvme, but I was looking to buy an M+B key which is Sata for a Laptop

TRENDING THREADS