Question Help identifying issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 2, 2019
Hello all, thanks for any help in advance its much appreciated! I recently did a budget partial build for a friend of mine. Replaced his super outdated components with the following:

Mobo:Gigabyte B450M DS3H
CPU: Ryzen 2600x
GPU:ROG RX570

I also added 16GB DDR4 2666 memory. Anyway, shipped him the computer everything ran fine for the first 36 hours. Starting yesterday he noticed while playing World of Warcraft his graphics would get pixelated off and on, followed by a black screen where the computer stays running, keyboard and mouse turn off and computer is totally unresponsive. Sometimes the screen will flicker and look a blueish color. Usually powering on and off about 4 times fixes the issue and itll boot up fine. One time yesterday he did get a BSOD saying Thread stuck in device driver. I've made sure his GPU driver is 100% up to date, windows is up to date. I checked his Bios version and it said f50 which is the most current from what I can find. I didnt replace his PSU it was a 1 month old 600W EVGA. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

I should also add. The game (World of Warcraft) will run 100% smoothly for maybe 15-20 min. Than the graphics will start to flash pixelated off and on. Eventually just a black screen keyboard and mouse power off but pc stays running. Only got that blue screen twice out of probably 10 times.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019
If that IS the correct monitor - it has HDMI, DisplayPort, and Dual-link DVI-D. The last 2 support 144hz.

Are you running Windows 10? Is the old driver compatible with Windows 10?
It'll reset every time you update the graphics drivers though.

Yes its Windows 10 home. He is trying to find his activation key so it's not like a "genuine" copy. But it was installed from a genuine windows 10 usb stick. And yes it's actually the local driver I believe. The version windows installs. Just not the most recent driver. It's been over an hour of gaming and it still is working.

Jul 2, 2019
If that IS the correct monitor - it has HDMI, DisplayPort, and Dual-link DVI-D. The last 2 support 144hz.

Are you running Windows 10? Is the old driver compatible with Windows 10?
It'll reset every time you update the graphics drivers though.

Hey sorry, he is running windows 10 home, its not activated (hes trying to find his key) but it was installed with a genuine windows 10 usb drive) And yes the drive is/was compatible with windows 10. The driver that's installed now is also compatible. The Radeon program had two driver options the recommended one, and an optional one. We tried both and got the crash. We also installed the driver we have now with the radeon program and it crashed. But I installed it this time through device manager check for updates, then chose from the list and got this one. I have no idea why it would matter where it was originally installed from. But he's been gaming for a few hours now with zero issues. ( Besides WoW telling him that he has an oudated graphics driver)

Jul 2, 2019
Sounds like a bad card then.
None of the official AMD Radeon drivers would work, but an outdated driver downloaded through Windows does?
Well, that's backwards, if I've ever seen it...

Thats what I'm saying. I honestly dont even know why I chose that driver. I also updated the generic pnp monitor driver as well in the same restart. Would you swap the card out? Or what would you recommend doing? Trying a recent driver again just for the heck of it?

Jul 2, 2019
It's not like you were trying a beta driver, were you? I'd leave those alone, they're betas for a reason.
I would still try the gpu swap.

Was this RX 570 purchased 2nd hand?
Nope I bought it straight from microcenter myself. They had a deal on the ROG 570s for like 100 bucks. I was gonna do a 580. Or a 1660 but the guy at Microcenter talked me into it because of how good of a deal it was.

Jul 2, 2019
It's not like you were trying a beta driver, were you? I'd leave those alone, they're betas for a reason.
I would still try the gpu swap.

Was this RX 570 purchased 2nd hand?
And no I dont believe it was a beta driver. In the Radeon Software program it offered two drivers. The recommended one. And a more recent optional one. I tried both to no avail

Jul 2, 2019
What are load temps like on the gpu?
I skimmed through some Amazon and Newegg reviews, and most of them mention temp issues and the fans are of low quality.

But he also ran on the most recent optional one for 48 hours before any issues. I'm tempted to install the recommended driver using the windows select from a list tool. But I also dont want him to not be able to play. We are considering just going to microcenter and getting a different card all together and having him send me back the ROG 570 and I'll just return it. Do you have a recommended budget card?

Jul 2, 2019
What are load temps like on the gpu?
I skimmed through some Amazon and Newegg reviews, and most of them mention temp issues and the fans are of low quality.

Well he just informed me that he had asuper discolored/pixelated screen. It wasn't black screening or crashing like it was before. Lasted at least 3 hours then when he woke up this morning it was back to normal. I'm tempted to install the proper driver through windows but as I said I dont wanna completely cut off his ability to play until we have another card ready to go

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
During the Furmark test the highest it ever went was 70c fans ramped up to around 70%
For how long though?
And both fans were spinning? [I noted some users mentioning that the 2nd fan stays off until at least 60C.]

IF the artifacting/crashing is occurring due to the 2nd fan staying off during lighter loads, then the memory is probably overheating.

Do you have a recommended budget card?
I would strongly point you towards the GTX 1650 Super, but pricing and availability differs between online stores and Microcenters...
That just leaves the RX 570:
Sapphire Pulse
Powercolor Red Dragon
Msi Armor OC

Avoid the Asrock Phantom Gaming D.
Ditto for XFX; quality is real hit and miss on their cards. As an upside, they tend to be pretty cheap...

Jul 2, 2019
For how long though?
And both fans were spinning? [I noted some users mentioning that the 2nd fan stays off until at least 60C.]

IF the artifacting/crashing is occurring due to the 2nd fan staying off during lighter loads, then the memory is probably overheating.

I would strongly point you towards the GTX 1650 Super, but pricing and availability differs between online stores and Microcenters...
Sapphire Pulse
Powercolor Red Dragon
Msi Armor OC

Ditto for XFX; quality is real hit and miss on their cards. As an upside, they tend to be pretty cheap...
For how long though?

Sapphire Pulse
Powercolor Red Dragon
Msi Armor OC

So the test probably ran maybe 5-10 minutes. I was just talking to him while gaming and he noted both fans were spinning, but temps were in the low 70's. And yea I was debating getting a 1650 or a 1660ti anyway for him. I just
For how long though?

Sapphire Pulse
Powercolor Red Dragon
Msi Armor OC

So a bit of an update. He randomly got a screen flicker here and there. One time got some pixelation. I updated driver from device manager. It went one version newer I believe. Since then he had like a brief flicker everything was fine. He opened radeon program and it auto updated driver this morning. He played for around 4 hours and just got a thread stuck in device driver blue screen. Idk if this tells us anything. Or if it's still pry just a lemon of a card?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That flickering... is the monitor set to run at it's native refresh?
-Right-click on the desktop and click Display settings. Scroll down to Multiple displays and click on Advanced display settings.
Click Display adapter properties for Display 1. Click Monitor, then click the Screen refresh rate drop-down menu to select the one most suited for your monitor and click Apply, and then Ok.

-Some apps as Norton AV, iCloud, and IDT Audio are known to cause compatibility issues in Windows and hence the screen flickering issue. If you have any of them installed, you should check their official website for a update to see if there’s a bugfix for this in them.
It's probably a good idea to scan the PC for any resident malware as well: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
That's pretty good at finding malware that tends to get past AVs.

Or if it's still pry just a lemon of a card?
Did you ever try the gpu swap yet? If it happens with the other gpu too, then something else is causing the problem.

Jul 2, 2019
That flickering... is the monitor set to run at it's native refresh?
-Right-click on the desktop and click Display settings. Scroll down to Multiple displays and click on Advanced display settings.
Click Display adapter properties for Display 1. Click Monitor, then click the Screen refresh rate drop-down menu to select the one most suited for your monitor and click Apply, and then Ok.

-Some apps as Norton AV, iCloud, and IDT Audio are known to cause compatibility issues in Windows and hence the screen flickering issue. If you have any of them installed, you should check their official website for a update to see if there’s a bugfix for this in them.
It's probably a good idea to scan the PC for any resident malware as well: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
That's pretty good at finding malware that tends to get past AVs.

Did you ever try the gpu swap yet? If it happens with the other gpu too, then something else is causing the problem.

So it's a 144hz monitor but hes using HDMI so it's set to 59hz. He ordered a displayport cord and I believe it should run at 144 after. And hasnt been able to do a GPU swap yet. He was suppose to have a friend bring a spare card but he hasnt been able to help yet (He lives in Cali me Minnesota) but for whatever reason the most current driver is the only one that gets him the thread stuck in device driver BSOD. Happened now 3 times today.

Jul 2, 2019
The odds in refresh would cause the flicker.

Leave that driver alone then. It sometimes happens that the latest driver doesn't get along with some user's systems.

Would properly activating Windows make absolutely any difference at all? As I stated before hes trying to find his key. I installed off of my Windows USB drive. I've never heard of that causing issues but then again I'm far from an expert. Also do you recommend any fan controllers or monitoring software for temps?

Jul 2, 2019
1)All the activation changes is the watermark(removed), and some personal customization options, so no.

2)AMD's Radeon Software is probably preferred.
Msi Afterburner is another option.

Okay thanks! And hopefully last question, what would you recommend to stop anything from auto upgrading the driver? Uninstall radeon software program? And what about preventing windows from automatically upgrading it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have a problem with Radeon Software auto installing drivers - Windows is a surprise though.

You should make a habit of clean installing drivers using DDU, and removing saved profiles you may create in case the new driver doesn't agree with the old settings.

Jul 2, 2019
I don't have a problem with Radeon Software auto installing drivers - Windows is a surprise though.

You should make a habit of clean installing drivers using DDU, and removing saved profiles you may create in case the new driver doesn't agree with the old settings.

Also something I noticed. It's an Asus Rog RX570 card (not sure if I mentioned that before) I noticed the drivers straight from Asus are different versions and dates than the ones in the radeon software program. Should I have been using the ones straight from ASUS this whole time

Jul 2, 2019
The most recent one from Asus is from 2018, so no.

Well with a displayport cord (monitor is properly reflecting 144hz now) he is still getting random little colored lines on the screen. Super fast flashes. And some pixelation every once in a while. It hasn't blue screened or totally crashed at all. Would it be worth at all having him try another PCI-e slot? Just for the hell of it? Otherwise he was just gonna mail me the card out Monday and I was gonna go swap it out at Microcenter