Help identifying power supply in rack-mount machine?

TripleCStudios

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
A few months ago, I bought a this (in pictures provided) rack-mount machine, but it doesn't power on. I've tried replacing the fuse, but it didn't help. I'm thinking about replacing the power supply if I can find it online. Can someone experienced in this subject please help find the power supply? I'll supply pictures of the interior. (I'm definitely not good with what goes on in the interior of computers, so excuse me for being dumb if I am.. :??:)

IMG_9266_zpsfcc86363.jpg

IMG_9265_zps67190bf6.jpg

Solution
I would grab a multimeter and test the connections to the motherboard from the PSU, the PSU may not be the problem here.

On a side note, that thing is vintage! Onboard everything, What is it exactly? Any idea?

Do the dip switches on the back of the device give any clues to it not powering on?

Are you sure its not being powered on? Could you provide a overhead shot of the motherboard if its not much trouble please?

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
I would grab a multimeter and test the connections to the motherboard from the PSU, the PSU may not be the problem here.

On a side note, that thing is vintage! Onboard everything, What is it exactly? Any idea?

Do the dip switches on the back of the device give any clues to it not powering on?

Are you sure its not being powered on? Could you provide a overhead shot of the motherboard if its not much trouble please?

Solution

TripleCStudios

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
You are correct that this is vintage. This is a 1994-95 model WeatherSTAR Jr. unit which created text-based local forecasts for The Weather Channel during the Local Forecast segment.

And thanks for responding. I will try using a multimeter with it.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the motherboard:
IMG_9267_zpsff65fae1.jpg

IMG_9268_zpsb5e44ec5.jpg

Everything looks fine compared to my already-working WS Jr. unit.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Awesome (thanks for the motherboard pictures)!
If the PSU connection is the same on both units, you could attempt the working PSU on the new device to verify that the motherboard is funcitonal. Sadly I was unable to find any information on replacing the PSU on that unit, it looks fairly custom. Perhaps a local electronics engineer or a trusted electronics repair person could assist you better then I.

TRENDING THREADS