Question Help I'm getting terrible frame-time spikes 5800x

Aug 2, 2021
Hi
Recently, my CPU performance has been getting worse. In practically every game, I see approximately 25% reduction in frames per second since I got the CPU and I now have spikes in frame time (2.5ms avg with spikes to 15ms when I got the cpu to now 4.5ms avg spiking to 27ms) that make gameplay feel very shaky. This started around 2 weeks ago but has gotten worse. I already clean installed windows and that did nothing. I also have max temps at 72.4 C under sustained all-core load so I know it's not a cooling issue. My GPU also maxes out at around the same temperature.
My specs are:
R7 5800x
Gigabyte rx 580 8gb gaming
MSI Gaming Edge Wifi x570
G.skill Trident Z Neo 2x8GB 3600Mhz c16
Samsung 980 pro 1tb
850 GQ EVGA psu

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021
Reactions: kurdtnz
Okay you can see my previous runs too from yesterday
Before this issue started I used to score 107% on the CPU score and 59% on the GPU score but you can't see those because they were before I wiped my ssd and reinstalled windows.
MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) Performance Results - UserBenchmark
To be honest, the scores are not that important, userbenchmark is notoriously intel biased. And the scores are hardly ever the same if you run it multiple times. It can be a useful tool for eliminating common issues though which is why I asked you to run it. Just to ask the obvious, are all your drivers up to date, ie, gpu, chipset etc?

What discs you have? On good cpu's usually old dying drive cause issues, if you hit cell that cannot be read, and it retries few times before it gets the data, it ends up as a spike.
windows tend to visit every single drive that is connected, even if its empty and unused.
Try to disable every HDD or disconnect unused drives, especially HDD's connected though USB and check again.

you can run smart checks on all drives that support it.

Aug 2, 2021
What discs you have? On good cpu's usually old dying drive cause issues, if you hit cell that cannot be read, and it retries few times before it gets the data, it ends up as a spike.
windows tend to visit every single drive that is connected, even if its empty and unused.
Try to disable every HDD or disconnect unused drives, especially HDD's connected though USB and check again.

you can run smart checks on all drives that support it.
It happened when I just had my samsung 980 pro m.2 ssd attached but I installed a new seagate barracuda 1tb hdd the other day.

Aug 2, 2021
To be honest, the scores are not that important, userbenchmark is notoriously intel biased. And the scores are hardly ever the same if you run it multiple times. It can be a useful tool for eliminating common issues though which is why I asked you to run it. Just to ask the obvious, are all your drivers up to date, ie, gpu, chipset etc?
Yes I just double checked all the drivers are up to date