ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Recently my computer froze. I restarted the computer using the reset button but did not get a post and my lcd poster screen said DET RAM. I reset the bios, took everything out except for the essentials and still no post not even a beep code. After calling Asus for costumer support we both concluded that it was a motherboard problem because I wasn't even getting a beep code. I received my motherboard today and even purchased new ram just in case it could be that and I still have the same problem. Also when powering up my computer my DDR memory led lights all stay on. Normally the lights should be on green only representing normal voltage. I called Asus today and they told me that they think it is my power supply. What could it be? Do you guys think it is my power supply? How do I know it is not the cpu? Please help.

My profile has all my specs but I will just state that I have an ASUS Rampage Formula, E8400, Corsair HX1000w and 2 x ATI 4850.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Yes I have tried one stick of ram. And the new ram is Gskill PI black PC 6400. It can't be the ram because this is the second set of ram with the same results.

It sounds like a faulty MB. Well, you can break the system down to five possibilities. CPU, 1 DIMM RAM, Video card, PSU and MB. Bench test the system with these five components. Unplug EVERYTHING else HDs, optical drives, case fans, sound card, etc. My experience tells me you have a bum MB.

Edit: Processors sometimes give out earlier rather than later. A bad processor is a possibility.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks a lot badge I really respect your input. I don't think it is the motherboard because this is my second one that just came in from RMA. So far I have tried 2 sets of ram in different slots, two different motherboards and I just finished trying a new power supply. I guess all there is left is the processor. The weird thing is the motherboard lcd poster gets stuck on DET RAM and I don't get a beep code. I would expect the motherboard to give me a beep code telling me that there is something wrong with the cpu.

I requested a Mfg. RMA for a recent 939 MB purchase a few months ago. The company's tech support asked if I had tried a different processor when I described the problem (similar to yours). I happened to have a spare processor. It worked to my amazement, my processor was new from Newegg. Looks like the processor is last of those five possible hardware pieces left. 8)

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007

Thanks I guess that eliminates that because all the fans will go on ans stay on.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I'm going to do that today and I will let you guys know how it goes. I really hope this works. Also I use arctic silver 5 how would I know if some of it got under the processor or something? Would there be some sort of short because of the conductive material?

Yeah, if you get AS5 on the 'pins' of the processor, the system will definately short out. The system will not boot up and continue running like it does. If the processor is 'bad' it will do exactly what your system is doing. Just set there and show a blank screen.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007

Wait are you saying that my computer would behave the way it is behaving if I shorted out the processor with AS5?

If AS5 were pesently applied to the pins of the processor and shorting out the system in that manner, the system would not power on and continue to run with a blank screen. The system would shut down completely due to the shorted processor. If you have a bad processor, the system will do exactly what it does presently, continue to have power up and running with the fans spinning like you describe and show a blank screen.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Ok so here goes. I took everything out of the case and tried booting up the computer just in case it was a short but I still got the same results. I decided to go to fry's to buy a new cpu and bought an intel celeron 430 processor. I went back home and swapped cpu's, powered it up and beep. It posted! All the led lights on the mobo were normal green. So after $30 for RMAing a motherboard that was never broken, buying new ram, new power supply and a new cpu I finally found the culprit. Great now I have to go back to fry's today to return everything. I really wish I hadn't RMA'd my mobo because it was solid. I hope the refurbished one they gave me gives me good overclocks like the other one did. Thank you badge I really appreciate your help.

Yeah, your description of the problem was great. Once you eliminated the MB, it had to be the CPU. An easy way to determine if you have a bad CPU or MB is to remove ALL the RAM from your system. A working speaker to sound BIOS beeps is necessary. Boot the system with no RAM. If you get no beeps signifying there is no RAM in the system, you have a bad MB or CPU.

Well, maybe the ASUS replaacement X48 will be a good one. I received a bad MB as RMA replacement from MSI long ago. I have also RMA'd to both Intel and AMD with CPU's in the past. AMD once shipped me five (5!) replacement CPU's due to shipping damage! Finally on the fifth shipment try, a supervisor personally packaged and sent a single processor in a multi processor plastic OEM tray. It made it unscathed! He said the five shipment attempts to get an undamaged processor to me was a company record! The processor shook loose in the plastic holder and the pins bent each time. I couldn't believe it. I called AMD and said, "You are not going to believe this, but the processor arrived with bent pins again!" 8)

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I actually meant that I hope that there won't be any damage to the new CPU because of poor packaging from Intel like in your case with AMD. I had another question. Is there any way Intel could tell If I overclocked the CPU? I had a 20% overclock but never exceeded the default voltage and never came close to their maximum thermal specification.

No, Intel will just honor their warranty. Of course, if you speak to or email to a tech at Intel during the RMA procedure do not mention anything about OC on the CPU. The CPU failed, that's it.