Question Help in choosing new replacement RAM

Jun 4, 2020
Hi guys,

I am currently working on a 3D project which requires higher RAM. I am planning to buy a set of dual-channel RAM online (since most stores close during this pandemic and could not ask any technician)

My current spec:
Galax GeForce GTX 960 EXOC 4GB GDDR5
Motherboard B150M Mortar (DDR4-2133, 4 DIMMs)
RAM Geil 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz PC4 19200 CL 15-15-15-35 1,2V

(I understand that GPU also takes a huge part in any 3D or rendering program, but I can only afford to upgrade a RAM at the moment :( )
Is it okay (in terms of compatibility) if I buy a new dual-channel RAM with this spec?
RAM VGen Tsunami 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666 Mhz PC4 21300 CL 16-18-18-35 1,2V?

I am not quite sure what aspects I should pay attention to in replacing RAM. According to my understanding:
  1. 2666 Mhz or any RAM speed does not affect anything (aside from price) since my mobo only supports up to 2133 Mhz, so just pick anything because the result will be the same.
  2. CL-16-18-18-35 is a latency rate and does not really affect any compatibility. But does it mean that CL 16 is not as good as CL 15? Should I try finding RAM with CL 15 or lower?
  3. Do I need to buy RAM with the same 1,2V? or any voltage higher than that is okay?

Thank you for your help guys

Regards,
Ricardo

Lutfij

Titan
I'd ask you to stick to a lower frequency ram kit, like DDR4-2133 since anything higher will be downclocked to 2133MHz, regardless of what processor you drop in there. Speaking of which, what is your processor? If it's a K series processor, you shouldn't be on a B series motherboard, rather a Z series board with a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit, to get the most out of the platform.

If you don't have a K series processor and you're dealing with the B150 till death, your hands are tied with ram frequency but you could get some higher frequency ram kits, tighten the timings while running at DDR4-2133MHz and you should see a boost in performance but that will require time and effort(resources) often trial and errors.

Mind sharing a link to the rams you're looking at?

Lastly, please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Jun 4, 2020
I'd ask you to stick to a lower frequency ram kit, like DDR4-2133 since anything higher will be downclocked to 2133MHz, regardless of what processor you drop in there. Speaking of which, what is your processor? If it's a K series processor, you shouldn't be on a B series motherboard, rather a Z series board with a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit, to get the most out of the platform.

If you don't have a K series processor and you're dealing with the B150 till death, your hands are tied with ram frequency but you could get some higher frequency ram kits, tighten the timings while running at DDR4-2133MHz and you should see a boost in performance but that will require time and effort(resources) often trial and errors.

Mind sharing a link to the rams you're looking at?

Lastly, please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Hi Lutfij,
Thanks for the input,
My current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700 @3.4 Ghz
Motherboard: MSI B150M Mortar (MS-7972)
Ram: Dual Channel Geil PC4-19200 CL 15-15-15-35 1.2V
SSD/HDD: HDD WD (WD10EZEX) 1TB + SSD Galax Gamer 512GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 GDDR5
PSU:Corsair CX550M

Not sure what series is my processor though. Do you think 2133 Mhz is too low in terms of performance for today's PC? ( I bought the PC in 2016)

I am looking for the affordable RAM like:
  1. https://www.amazon.com/GeIL-POTENZA-288-Pin-Desktop-GPR416GB2400C16DC/dp/B01EWBFZSE
  2. https://www.v-gen.co.id/ram/ddr4-tsunami-led/ (<-- this a local brand in my country though)

Thanks for your help!

Ricardo

[/QUOTE]