Help in deciding which premium to buy

Sal123

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Hello guys, I am building a new pc ment for gaming. Its my first time and I am unsure of which type of windows 7 to buy. Its between windows 7 home premium or windows 7 home premium 64 bit starter edition. Here are the links to the two.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DHGMK0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2IF5UHGQIKJ6Y

I would obviously want the cheaper starter edition. But I have heard horror stories that if i get the starter edition, if I change hardware it will not be compatible anymore. Are things like this true?

And as a side note do either of these come with Microsoft word and other school related programs or is that something separate?

USAFRet

Titan
And your two links you provided were not Starter vs Premium, but rather OEM vs Retail
That is a different difference.

OEM will be tied to the first motherboard you install it with.
Retail, you can remove and reinstall again later if needed.

Sal123

Honorable
May 20, 2013

So then get the retail one? Just too make sure the more expensive one I listed

USAFRet

Titan

If you think you may change hardware in the next couple of years, yes.

Sal123

Honorable
May 20, 2013

If I don't think I will change hardwares, but I don't want my version of windows to be crippled like you described, which one do I get? Can you link it please if possible.

None of the versions come with Microsoft Word or any school related programs. The closest thing to Word that comes with Windows is WordPad. WordPad does not have all the features of Word. As for Windows, and as USAFRet wrote, only get the OEM version if you are sure your hardware (motherboard and cpu) is not going to change. Personally, I would go with Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate because of the RAM limitations of the other versions (8 vs. 16 vs. 192).