Help in mixing memory. 4 GB RAM + 8 GB RAM DDR4

Nehemiah Ancheta

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
Hi i'm upgrading my laptop prebuilt 4 GB RAM and i will add extra 8 GB RAM and i have only 2 ram slots in my laptop. If it is okay to upgrade then my laptop will have dual channel? Sorry for my english.

Solution
Actually no, unless it's an old laptop(pre 2010, or a very cheaply implemented BIOS) , and this is a current (using DDR4, if you have 4GB and add an 8GB, then Flex mode should enable and you will have 8GB (4GB from each stick) running in dual channel mode and the odd 4GB from the 8GB stick will be in single channel mode
Be aware that for dual-channel to work, both RAM modules must be the same capacity (ie 2 x 2GB modules or 2 x 4GB modules etc).

If the two modules are different capacities they will still work, the total RAM will be correct but they'll only be operating in single channel mode.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Actually no, unless it's an old laptop(pre 2010, or a very cheaply implemented BIOS) , and this is a current (using DDR4, if you have 4GB and add an 8GB, then Flex mode should enable and you will have 8GB (4GB from each stick) running in dual channel mode and the odd 4GB from the 8GB stick will be in single channel mode

Solution

Nehemiah Ancheta

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

i have intel i5 62002.3 ghz to 2.8ghz nvidia geforce 940mx 2gb vram.. Gddr5 and 4 GB installed DDR4 Memory and 1000 GB HDD.. it is acer aspire e5 475G.. can i still upgrade my RAM with 8 GB stick? i dont have a budget on buying 2x8 GB kit. it has only 2 slots. BTW its a laptop hehe ty for the reply