prav1985

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/319165-31-upgrade#t2375257

I am buying i3 2100 processor.

Here available motherboards are Intel DH67VR, Intel DH67BL, & Intel DH61WWB3.

Asus H61 is also available but i am told above MoBo is gud with I3 2100 processor.

2GB or 4Gb DDR3? Which one i should go for? What it will help if i chose 4GB instead of 2GB?

I have only 15 inch LCD monitor. will it run properly with i3 processor or am i supposed to buy higher inch LCD too?

H61 or H67 are both fine. Keep in mind some H61/H67 do not have USB3 or Sata6, yet some do. You'll pay a little more for one that does. I would suggest getting one that does it will pay off in the future.

4GB of DDR3-1333 or 1600 is ideal. 1.5v or less only (no 1.65v).

Monitor size has no bearing on cpu or motherboard but I would suggest buying a 22", that's pretty much the standard today.

There's no bigger, more satisfying upgrade than a big fat shiny monitor.

prav1985

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

thnks for ur answer bt still need to ask 1 more thing.

I had intel P4 which after some time becomes noisy. It becomes so unbearable that i cant leave my computer whl night for downloading.

So i m jst asking intel or asus or depend upon luck.

Lutfij

Titan
@ prav1985 - where dya live? maybe i can suggest a better mobo for that processor...

about that noisy processor/rig...you might have alot of dust clogging up the heatsink fan thas causing the fan to run in overdrive mode and giving the noisy whirr. It could also mean the dust has clogged the bearings in the fan.

contrary to geekapproveds recommendation of getting 1600MHz dimms as an ideal choice is a bad idea. I personally have 2 H67 rigs and the problem with H67 chipset mobo's is that the highest Speeds for DDR3 rams is 1333MHz. So getting 1600MHz will probably be costlier and you won't get the extra performance boost out of those rams...so a double dud.

ram voltages should be in the 1.5V~1.55V

with today's DDR3 dimms prices dropping like flies, getting 4GB is the way to go now, while the extra ram can benefit your system in the long run, in media, and in performance.

reagarding the monitor bearing, OP want's to run the monitor off the iGPU - thus the reason for going 2nd gen core i proc, i3-2100.

that iGPU inside the i3-2100 holds the HD2000 GPU in the CPU die. THAT igpu can run bluray content media at res's of 1920x1080. I know this because i have an media/office rig built around the H67 chip here

its lower power consumption makes the i3-2100 a good chip for an HTPC, download rig :) and good for playing new games at lower resolutions or pre 2008 games in med-high settings :p

can you post back with my questions , thanks
Hope this helps

Lutfij

Titan
:lol:
4GB of DDR3-1333 or 1600 is ideal.
my friend, you can't change the timings on the dimms, only the voltages. on an H67 board 1600MHz is essentially downlocked to 1333MHz by default.

@ Prav - you know what you should see if you can get a Z68 chipset board. that way you can pick up 1600MHz rams and also run an OC on that i3, not to mention using the onboard GPU.

prices are the same on newegg, we'll see where OP is currently living. In my country the 1600MHz dimms are nearly 1.5 times higher in price. Market monopolozation - if you will :)

my 2 cents

You can't change the timings on the dimms?? Really? If you believe that you can't change dimm timings, then you shouldn't be giving advice on this forum. LOL

My dimms are 1600/9-9-9-24/1.65v and I currently run them at 1333/8-8-8-20/1.5v. So I get DDR3-1600 speed while only running that at 1333 by tightening the timings.

So.....like I said....1333 or 1600 is ideal.

Lutfij

Titan
:) jaquith should see what your posting here on the forums ... :lol: nevermind that mr smarty pants.Though I wonder why everyone on the forums(not to forget Intel) is saying that the H67 is meant for the NON-OC'ing community, the P67 is for the OC'ig community and the Z68 is the amalgamation of both...anyways.

You can remain happy with your advices :) better to make you feel better than cry hahaha.

please take the time to read this as well.

Nice advise's though, your's (in particular) didn't work out on the thread i opened almost a month ago. Jaquith however... :lol: helped me get to the bottom of it :)

FYI - bro, i aint here to lock horns with you, just help anyone on the forums. Apparently your just a ball of hot gas everytime i see you on the forums, or you have noir answers.

one more thing -

Here available motherboards are Intel DH67VR, Intel DH67BL, & Intel DH61WWB3.
intel should be the last choice when choosing mobo's. Stay away from them by all means and pick up other manufacturere's. Intel are best known for chipsets and CPU's. other companies (sort of)reverse engineer the boards and are more reliable.

Like I said, if you don't even know how to do something as basic as changing dimm timings, you shouldn't be giving ANY advice here. Period.

Not sure what I need to read that link for, I never mentioned anything about overclocking. Period.

I remain happy with my advice on getting the bandwidth of 1600mhz dimms while running at 1333. Looks like you learned something today.

Some people grow up so fast??

I'm sure I'm much older than you kid, so you better start growing up.

I read it. It was irrelevent to the conversation.

Like I said. If you didn't even know you could change dimm timings, you should just give up giving computer advice. That's basic setup knowledge.

TRENDING THREADS