help in windows 8 update. touch screen not working!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
asus Q500a
8gp
i7 2.2

OS win 8

i was using my touch screen after getting it, and 2 days later it stoped working and i did a restore on it incase and it happened again then i did a device man scan and it found only 1 thing wrong BUT never fixed it. i typeed in touch and pen and FOUND nothing i dont onto the control pan and i never found that option i then gone into to the my computer Prop and it basicly stated it does not have touch and pen enabled..

how do i fix this? i tryed many sites and what they said nothing worked really =(

plz help

Solution
It may be broken requiring an RMA, however I stumbled on this at Amazon so I'll just past it:

"...I finally stumbled upon the solutions to both forms of touch screen failure - the failure upon closing the lid and more semi-permanent failure - are both caused by simple, stupid bugs arising from the particular combination of Asus' touch screen interface design and Windows' USB power management algorithms. If your touch screen is going out when you close the lid, you probably have set the computer's power settings so that it "does nothing" upon closing the lid. Changing this setting to "sleep" - after first restoring touch functionality, of course - fixed the problem instantly and permanently for me, though this will probably only work if...

Kallipais

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
Thank you so much for this. It solved my problem immediately! I would not have thought of it on my own and I'm very grateful to you for sharing it.

Rocking Raghul

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

Genekear

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
Sometimes a 'stumble' prevents a fall. I had my new ASUS F500LA fliptop only 4 days when the touchscreen quit Frantic searches turned up zilch. Then I 'stumbled' upon your pose. It saved a long and agnazing phone call to tech support.

Just one more tip to place in the ever expanding bag of tips.

Thanks

"...I finally stumbled upon the solutions to both forms of touch screen failure - the failure upon closing the lid and more semi-permanent failure - are both caused by simple, stupid bugs arising from the particular combination of Asus' touch screen interface design and Windows' USB power management algorithms. If your touch screen is going out when you close the lid, you probably have set the computer's power settings so that it "does nothing" upon closing the lid. Changing this setting to "sleep" - after first restoring touch functionality, of course - fixed the problem instantly and permanently for me, though this will probably only work if you first go into the Windows Device Manager and find the touch screen device - it's a "USB Input Device" under the "Human Interface Devices" heading - right click and go to "Properties", go to the "Power Management" tab, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". The more permanent-seeming touch screen failure was instantly resolved by disabling the "USB Selective Suspend" feature in the power settings and cold-booting. So if you're having touch screen problems, chances are excellent that your touch screen is actually fine, and all you need to do is change all the settings as I've indicated here, cold-booting first if necessary to bring the touch screen back to life before you start. Hope this helps someone! "[/quotemsg]

groovesalad1

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
thanks for this solution. I've been without my tablet, which i purchased for school and went 100% ebook for my texts, for almost the whole semester. Finals coming up, and I NEEDED it. Searched for all sorts of problems, but seems everyone describes a different sort of touch screen issue. Mine, was anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes into use, it would freeze everything, no touch screen, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing. Completely frozen on whatever I was doing from what I could tell. I actually gave a presentation using the frozen screen showing the new apple watch it froze on as a visual aid.
Anyway, I found the settings to uncheck the box for allowing windows to turn that device off to save power. Well, there were 3 different usb devices as described, so I unchecked all 3. if it uses more battery because of it, well 10-15 hours is already uncomparable to my toshiba getting 2-3 hrs. All works just perfectly now. Thank you so much again!!