[SOLVED] HELP! Installed new CPU and PC will not boot with 8-pin CPU power cable

Apr 14, 2020
I was having overheating issues after 3 years of solid running with no problems. I boiled it down to a failed h100i cooler pump. (which started making whining noises) I swapped my i5-6600k for an i5-9400 just to use the stock cooler for now, and bought a GTX 1660S to replace my RX480 all for <Mod Edit> and giggles no issues with CPU or GPU sold them both. When i installed the new CPU and tried to boot it up, everything came on for 1 second and then shut off.( It only repeats this when I cycle the power switch on the PSU and try to power it on again.) The only way I can get the PC to stay on is if I unplug the 8-pin CPU power cable. Everything runs like normal except the CPU is unplugged. I cannot figure out why I cannot get it to boot. The PC booted and ran fine 2 days ago aside from the cooling issue. Brand new CPU. Brand new GPU. Board is an MSI Krait Gaming 3X, running Corsair CX 750M PSU, Ballistix DDR4

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yup, pretty easy one. Your new motherboard can only run Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs. You absolutely can not run an i5-9400 on any Z170 motherboard.
Apr 14, 2020
thanks all for the replies. it’s the old motherboard from the old CPU. After yanking my hair out I realize it’s the board compatibility with 9th gen. i ruled that out because I saw that it works on some forum. I will try a new board tomorrow. any recommendations?