HELP installing 200GB Hard Disk&Promise ATA100 TX2

serenousa

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
WD2000JB 8M 200 GB Hard Drive Istalling-Formatting on W98se HELP!

BIOSTAR Biostar M6TBA V 1.5 w/latest Bios available - i440bx - 640MB PC133 RAM - Celeron 633/66/128k. WD400 40GB HD w/W98se OS as master. Problem is with WD2000JB 200GB HD. FDISK will only see 59GB(64).

I really need to start working and I was not able to install the new Western Digital WD2000JB-00DUA0 hard drive with a Promise ULTRA100 ATA TX2 PCI card (2.0.0210.2).

After running lifeguard tools 10 from a floppy it recognizes the drive which is setup as slave on IDE 1 using an 80 pin conductor cable. On master there is a formatted OS W98se drive WD400EB which was already formatted. It will ask me if I want to format the WD2000JB drive. I select yes (I have tried no as well), then asks me againg to select a drive, I select it. Then I skip copy from drive. It says no OS found on drive, if using W98 insert the boot floppy. I do so and the following error is generated:

Floppy OS detection
No operating system detected

critical error

causeway error 09 - unrecoverable exeption - program terminated

Please HELP I need to format this drive ASAP.

To even complicate things my FUNAI 285X cd-rom drive is not regognized by the promise card if the 80 pin cable is hooked up on IDE 1 and the standard 40 pin IDE cable is on IDE 2 for the cd-rom. I is only recognized if the 80 pin cable is disconnected. So now what do I do? I can´t afford to use the PCI on board IDE since I will loose an IRQ that I don´t have available.

I appreciate you help please!

Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by serenousa on 01/23/03 11:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Problem is with WD2000JB 200GB HD. FDISK will only see 59GB(64).
You need an <b><A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044" target="_new"><font color=red>updated FDisk</A></b></font color=red>.
Have you tried copy system file when formatting by using the command line like this "<b>format c:/<font color=red>s</b></font color=red>" (w/o quotation marks).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

serenousa

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Check this out (from the microsoft page see the NOTE)

SYMPTOMS: When you use Fdisk.exe to partition a hard disk that is larger than 64 GB (64 gigabytes, or 68,719,476,736 bytes) in size, Fdisk does not report the correct size of the hard disk.

RESOLUTION: A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article.

NOTE: This hotfix is not designed for 48-bit logical block addressing (LBA) hard disks, and it is not supported on hard disks larger than 137 GB.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, I missed that you had 200GB HD, but did you format it (in Win98) with System files or use command "<b>format [your 200JB drive's letter] <font color=red>/s</b></font color=red>" (so it can be booted)?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On master there is a formatted OS W98se drive WD400EB which was already formatted. It will ask me if I want to format the WD2000JB drive. I select yes (I have tried no as well), then asks me againg to select a drive, I select it. <font color=red><b>Then I skip copy from drive</b></font color=red>. It says no OS found on drive, if using W98 insert the boot floppy.
Now this is confusing me. What did you skip copy from?

serenousa

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now this is confusing me. What did you skip copy from?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is only if you want to copy your old drive to the new one which I don´t need nor want to. (using Lifeguard tools 10)

I have not tried to format the drive using format/s because I wasn´t able to low level format the drive yet. Since I can´t and not supposed to use FDISK, I have been using the Lifeguard tools 10 software that Promise & Western Digital specify for drives over 137GB. Thats what I´ve tried. And I get those error messages.

I don´t need this drive to be bootable, is only intended for media recording. I have the 40GB drive for booting.

Of course neither Western Digital nor Promise have replied at all yet after numerous days and more than one e-mail sent to their support center, which they claim that in only 1 business day (depending on complexity of problem and info given) they´ll give an answer.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by serenousa on 01/24/03 02:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
try partition magic

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

serenousa

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
try partition magic

Will this software create an overlay on the drive?

Or will it truly format it 200GB for any bios that recognizes the size such as the one found on the Promise ULTRA100 TX2 PCI ATA100 card?

Will it modify the drives bios?

Will the drive work on any computer after using Partition Magic that doesn´t have the Partition MAgic Software installed?

Is it 100% safe to use this or the is a small porcentage that I could loose any information on the drive at any given time?

Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by serenousa on 01/24/03 03:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Partition Magic is the powerful and very useful tool. It allows you to partition and format (either FAT or NTFS), and I'm pretty sure it would work on your Promise controller card (I used it with my HighPoint RAID controller and 2 of IBM 60GXP setup as RAID-0). If you made mistake you can undo it and return to previous state of the HD. If you only want to have more disk space with your new HD, I also recommend it.

serenousa

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Is the drive then Partition Magic dependant or its independent and will be recognized in any other computer that doesn´t have the software? I will be moving this drive within several computers random (ata100 new bios compatible).

Does it use an overlay?

Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by serenousa on 01/26/03 03:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
you don't have to have partition magic installed on every computer. it's one of those "use it once a while" softwares. you just use it to partition your drive and then you can delete it

maybe you should have somebody who knows something about computers do it for you

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, any partition and its file system (FAT or NTFS) that Partition Magic created will be recognized by other compatible OS. Furthermore, its CD is bootable, so basically, you don't have to install it in your comp. You can run it at startup and it will run in compatible-DOS mode.
<b><A HREF="http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/" target="_new"><font color=blue>Partition Magic Info</A></b></font color=blue>
Does it use an overlay?
I'm not familiar with this term. What does it do?

serenousa

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Partition Magic only supports partitions up to 160GB. And chances are it uses overlays (cheats hard drive bios so its recognized by a BIOS with either a 64GB or 137GB limit). Which definately I don´t need.

Q: What is the largest hard drive PartitionMagic can support?
A: We have tested with partitions up to 160 GB. For example, a 480 GB hard drive could support three 160 GB partitions.

I tried to partition it with a windows XP CD, but only recognized up to 137, and now I have a NTFS 130GB partition that I need to destroy. I am using W98se because I think is faster than XP (correct me if I am wrong), and don´t have any problems or crashes with it.

About using NTFS: I know that NTFS partitions on Windows NT 4.0 belong to a unique system, and that if you try to use the drive on a different computer, you will not be able to access the drive. Is it the same way with Windows 2000 or XP?

Basically I need to format a 200GB drive the same way you would format a 20GB, with no bios cheats or whatsoever. That is what the Western Digital Lifeguard Tools 10 is intended to, but I get those errors mentioned on the original problem post. I wish someone using W9x with a 200GB and promise card can give me a hint!

Thanks you all!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Q: What is the largest hard drive PartitionMagic can support?
A: We have tested with partitions up to 160 GB. For example, <b><font color=red>a 480 GB hard drive could support three 160 GB partitions</font color=red></b>.
There is a difference between partitions and hard drive (which can contain 2 or more partitions). Partition Magic has been tested with HD of 480GB capacity, and they have only tested it with 160GB partition (which is bigger than the barrier of 137GB) that I think it would work with your HD. I don't have 200GB HD so this is only my speculation.
However, just in case, you can partition your HD into 2 partitions (for instance, 2 of 100GB each) then use PM to format them.

serenousa

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
<<<<<<<<<<There is a difference between partitions and hard drive (which can contain 2 or more partitions).>>>>>>>

I know. I am trying to make 1 200GB autentic partition with no overlays or bios cheats. The software must be newer than November of 2002.

Thanks.

jerboa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I suggest you give up. I have been reading so many different versions of installation that I am sending my WD200Gb drive back. I talked to WD 3 times and each time I got different suggestions. You also have to be careful because Win2000 NTFS has certain restrictions. The instructions sent with the drive are a joke. What I understand about this drive or any drive over 137GB is you will need a special overlay,(that WD provides)---unless you are running Win2000 then you don't use the overlay (ACCORDING TO WD'S TECH SUPPORT). Another thing their tech support told me was you had to have Win2000 SP3. I know I'm not making much sense but nobody is. FDISK does not work. You have to use the WD Utilities to format and partition if you want to utilize the entire drive. If you want to copy an existing partition you need to use the WD Utilities. Well after two days of trying to install this drive I have given up. My time is too valuable. I now am faced with the possibility of reinstalling my OS and the 40GB of data that is possibly corrupted by the attempted "copy" from my original HD to the new one. The copy utility locked up at 78% each time (no error messages, just stopped). I am getting a couple of 120-130 GB drives that will use standard utilities and can be plugged into the motherboard controllers and can be configured with the standard BIOS. One other thing, the cable they sent with the drive wasn't long enough to connect both of my HD's together.
I am sure there are many experts out there that can configure a non-standard piece of hardware like this but for me forget it.. I think WD has made a big mistake in suggesting that, as their instructions state:
"Quick Install" I have 3 other WD HD's no problem with any of them.

Jerboa

Cstew77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
"I am trying to make 1 200GB autentic partition with no overlays or bios cheats"

I believe this is your problem. The easiest solution is to partition your drive into two or more partitions. Partition Magic would then be a utility that could help you out. I'm not sure how to make a single 200GB partition.

serenousa

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Jerboa,

It seems you too had problems. The thing is I can´t give up because I need all the 200GB in one drive and I am overseas, which prevents me from changing the drive anyway.

I am running W98se. If you read the 1st post you´ll see that the problem was that the Lifeguard tools 10 generated an error when trying to locate OS on hardrive or floppy, therefore preventing the software to go any further with the instalation and not being able to partition the drive at all.

It seems you where able to partition. Right? What software did you use? Running W2000? Are you using the Promise ATA 100 TX2 card? Did you contact them on e-mail or phone? I can´t call from overseas and they never answered any of my e-mails.

Funny is (or maybe not funny at all) that they somehow knew that drive to drive copy might not work correctly as they warn people to backup first. Now what is this utility good for if you need to backup everything, then you would restore from backup, plus need extra equipment, time and dvd´s, cd or tapes, etc? Western Digital´s easy installation is also a joke! If only their software would work!

Thanks!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by serenousa on 02/04/03 04:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

billou2000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2001
same problem: I m using win XP with an Asus a7v8x that should support ata 133. My main drive is 120GB and i added a Maxtor 160GB one on the other IDE cable. bios can see it properly but winxp just sees it as a 128GB (137).
And there's another point i cant explain : when the computer boots the second screen indicates for the drive plugged on the first IDE cable : ATA6 and for the other one ATA2. I thought ata6 was ata100 no? but this mobo is supposed to be ata133? would it be the reason win xp can just see 128GB?
and why the two ide ports would have a different ATA version?

jerboa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Why should anyone waste time on this install. Western Digital has created a monster. Any HD larger than 137GB will not work with the 32 bit addressing available. It is not mathmatically possible. You have several choices. If you want to waste more money and lots more time then buy or worse yet borrow Partition Magic or Partition Commander. You will get more covered up in tech !%@#$^&@ that you will want to throw everything out the window. Partitioning software is great for people that are willing to invest lots of time in understanding how to use it correctly. Your anti-virus software will think you have a MBR virus and if your not careful it will screw up the OVERLAY. All new partitioning info. is stored in the Master Boot Record whether it be standard OS with standard formatting or Patition Magic. Any non standard application should be avoided unless the user is prepared to fix a problem. Which means a lot more to read and learn and if you borrow a copy of the software you may not have the tools needed to fix a problem. Another option would be to cheat by hacking the registry. I have done this! It can be done on Win2000 or XP. The registry entry tells the OS how to recognize
48 bit LBA but again this is not standard. If you have a boot drive with the registry hack and a second 200GB drive as a slave used for backup or storage then everything is fine until you have your system( boot drive) get corrupted or require a reinstall. As soon as you reboot with the 200GB drive connected your system(now without registry hack) will try to rearrange all of the data on 200GB onto what is now a 137GB drive. If you are careful about this then you can use the registry hack but you still are risking a major screw up and loss of data. Another option is using a controller card that has bios that interprets the size correctly to the original system board. The controller card is basically a translator. You have to have 48 bits LBA to address 200GB, so the card takes care of that and tells the rest of the system what to see and where. This is what Western Digital wants you to do. However, their marketing this to the average user is abig mistake. You still have to understand how to disable your motherboard IDE controller in cmos setup and change the boot parameters. The controller card shows up in the boot devices as OptionRom, so instead of booting to IDE 1 (after the floppy) you set the boot sequence to floppy, Option Rom, and then CD-Rom or whatever. You also need to under stand about setting jumpers on the hard drives. The Cable select method is great if you don't have other problems. If you don't have bios set correctly there can be conflicts. On top of all of that is the fact that you now have another PCI device installed on your motherboard which may also create conflicts. So you may need to know how to check IRQ settings. The list of crap goes on and on. Why would anyone need all of this when you can get two standard 120GB drives and connect them to the standard IDE controller use standard bios and partioning. All normal software etc. If anyone HAS TO HAVE 200GB then you need to learn to use the new stuff or learn to back up data to other places. Or get another computer and connect them.

I am telling you from exerience. I have a WD 200GB drive. Four Western Digital Techs have all told me different "fixes" none worked. The instructions included are a total joke. The picture on the box shows some goofball smiling as he drops this thing in like anyone could do it in their sleep. Wrong. Like I said I have installed this thing several ways and none are acceptable. WD told me that unless I installed the Card they weren't going to talk to me. I had the drive showing 200GB without the card, they acted like I was crazy, one guy was amazed that I was "able to trick Windows" he couldn't believe it. So now that I have it installed "correctly" I am having major problems with other systems and periherals. My mouse now skips and stops responding at times(IRQ conflict) I am having video and sound problems. I use Win2000, I am using the many performance monitoring tools to gather info about how to resolve the conflicts. Having the harddrives connected to a PCI card is a mistake when you can connect them to the motherboard where they belong. The computer was designed this way and I didn't buy my computer or Hard drive to redesign it. So I am going to buy two new 120GB drives and get rid of this nightmare. If anyone else wants to play with this stuff go ahead and enjoy. But if anyone needs your computer to use and rely on for what it was designed then stick to the equipment made for it.

This flame is now going out for good.
Thank you for your time.

JB