Help installing 3.5" memory card reader in Antec 902 case

Status
Not open for further replies.

glcaan99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hello,

I ran into some difficulty trying to mount a Sony memory card reader in my Antec Nine Hundred Two case. I was able to eventually get the reader mounted in the supplied 3.5" to 5.25" adapter, but even then the reader was not flush with the front of the case; the screw holes in the adapter do not allow the drive to be aligned with the front of the case if 2 screws per side are used. Also, I was unable to get the faceplate mounted over the reader; the faceplate mounts to the case with two screws but it was not clear how to mount the faceplate since the adapter blocks the mounting holes for the faceplate when it is inserted into the bay. I can mount the faceplate but not when the adapter has been inserted. (The Antec manual gives only general instructions and wasn't of much help).

Appreciate any suggestions. Is there a better adapter available out there than the one provided with the case?

Thanks!

Solution
I have a Logisys card reader in my CM HAF 932 case mounted in a 3 1/2" adapter. The reader is about 1/16" below the front perforated grill. A slight depression looks better than a protrusion.

After reading your post I checked my Scythe fans controller and found that it was not fastened at all; just a snug fit in the 3 1/2" bay. Looks like it has been this way for 2 years, so I am going to leave it like that.

Cooler Master adapters too have fixed mounting holes instead of slots.

In your case, try and mount the card reader below the surface of the adapter grill. You may also consider drilling 2 custom mounting holes for better alignment.
I have a Logisys card reader in my CM HAF 932 case mounted in a 3 1/2" adapter. The reader is about 1/16" below the front perforated grill. A slight depression looks better than a protrusion.

After reading your post I checked my Scythe fans controller and found that it was not fastened at all; just a snug fit in the 3 1/2" bay. Looks like it has been this way for 2 years, so I am going to leave it like that.

Cooler Master adapters too have fixed mounting holes instead of slots.

In your case, try and mount the card reader below the surface of the adapter grill. You may also consider drilling 2 custom mounting holes for better alignment.

Solution

glcaan99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Thanks. I stared at it a bit more and I think I need to try mounting the drive in the opposite direction in the adapter. If this works I may be able to avoid drilling new mounting holes for it. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it works- thanks again!

Sure! Don't hesitate to drill some custom holes if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.