[SOLVED] Help installing GTX1080 - do I need a new PSU?

spr1te

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I have a Coolermaster RS-500-PCAR-13 PSU and want to install 3rd party Chinese-brand GTX1080 (https://item.jd.com/20045775699.html). However it seems my PSU does not have an 8 pin connector that should be required to connect the GPU - I can only see three 4 pin connectors. Do I need a new PSU for this? Any help appreciated.

Photos of the GPU/manual and the inside of my machine: https://imgur.com/a/gbEpskt

Solution
You didn't give what CPU and peripherals your running, but either way the recommended for a 1070-1080 (high end ten series Ti Included) is atleast 600watts. Realistically the card will run with your power supply, (do not over clock it) however your power supply will probably be sitting at 70+% utilization all of the time.

TLDR: You can run the 1080 with a 500 watt psu, I wouldn't (for long) and it will kill your power consumption and psu within a year or two max.
(Most psu's offer ideal performance up to around 70% .. anything above 70% ish is there, but it's not pretty, you don't want to be running your power supply above 70% for any lengthy period of time or you will end up replacing it anyway.

Blitz Hacker

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
You didn't give what CPU and peripherals your running, but either way the recommended for a 1070-1080 (high end ten series Ti Included) is atleast 600watts. Realistically the card will run with your power supply, (do not over clock it) however your power supply will probably be sitting at 70+% utilization all of the time.

TLDR: You can run the 1080 with a 500 watt psu, I wouldn't (for long) and it will kill your power consumption and psu within a year or two max.
(Most psu's offer ideal performance up to around 70% .. anything above 70% ish is there, but it's not pretty, you don't want to be running your power supply above 70% for any lengthy period of time or you will end up replacing it anyway.

Solution
Jan 15, 2019