[SOLVED] Help! Installing new GPU drivers is making my PC lag horribly!

Jul 29, 2019
So I recently got my first gaming PC built for me by an experienced friend of mine, and when I install the latest drivers for my GPU (RTX 2060)
My PC lags Horribly! The screen glitches, freezes, and goes black every few minutes or so. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers through GeForce experience, and my PC still runs into the same problem. When I go into my device manager and disable my graphics card, my PC goes back to running smoothly but wont let me play any games. What should I do? Someone please help.

Solution
Why can't you install it yet? I'd recommend downloading it, making new Windows media and doing a CLEAN install with the new installation media created with version 1903. There are lots of known problems with version 1803 on newer hardware.

What is your EXACT power supply model number?

Have you used the DDU, to do a CLEAN install of the Nvidia drivers?

Reactions: Calebp789
Did you do a clean install of Windows, or are you using a Windows installation that was used with your previous system?

Have you checked to see that you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed?

What are your FULL hardware specifications?

Have you checked to see that ALL of the required, and latest, hardware drivers from your motherboard's product page have been installed? If not, then you are probably running off the standard Windows drivers and of course nothing works right like that.

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah Im pretty sure I installed all the drivers for my mobo and have done all the BIOs updates, my specs: Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB RAM, MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z, Corsair RM 750x power supply

I bought a brand new USB from Microsoft with Windows 10 on it

Also thank you for helping :)

Last edited:
Which slots are the memory modules installed in? A2 and B2 (Second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket)?

Graphics card is installed in the primary x16 slot closest to the CPU?

Something is definitely screwed because there is no way you should be able to disable your graphics card and still have a display. Graphics card disabled should mean no display at all. Screen should go black and see "no signal detected" or something along those lines.

You may need to pull it all back apart and check for bent pins on the CPU.

Could also just be a bad card or bad motherboard. You do have the proper PEG/PCI/VGA power cables connected from the power supply to the graphics card, yes?

Might try just removing the graphics card and reseating it. Sometimes, often, that cures a lot of display issues. I think it's doubtful though since it works fine when running on Windows native drivers but not on the Nvidia drivers.

You might want to try an older Nvidia driver back a version or two as well.

Is that RM 750x new or is it an older unit?

Jul 29, 2019
Yes the RAM and GPU are in those slots.

Yeah I thought that it was strange too, I don't understand why the computer even displays anything and on top of that runs better when I disable my graphics card.

I'm afraid of messing around with components inside of the case because me being inexperienced I'm afraid I'll mess something up.

I bought my PSU from Amazon refurbished, and it said was in great condition. Same goes with my hard drive.
The rest of the components I bought brand new.

I just really wish I could find out what the problem is. There are so many possible issues that I don't know how to go about it. I spent a good amount of money for my income at least on this PC and I just want it to work right so I can play games.

Unless I'm just plain stupid and did it wrong I'm pretty sure I downloaded all the right drivers and bios updates for my mobo and GPU. I even tried using DDU and reinstalling my drivers again just a few minutes ago.

Maybe I'll try downloading an older graphics driver.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I can buy that, but how does the system continue to have a display output after "disabling" the graphics card in device manager?
When I disable the GPU through device manager, the screen does go black. A moment later the screen comes back on, and everything loads pretty well other than games. My PC only loads everything terribly when I enable my GPU / Install driver updates for it. So as of right now I've been using the PC at a state where the GPU is "disabled" so things actually load. I really don't have a clue why it's doing this, it just does. Sounds weird but I swear that's what its doing.

Jul 29, 2019
What games? If they are older games that require DX9.0c, then you'll get exactly those symptoms.

I was trying to load relatively new games such as Fortnite because it's free. But I get an error message that says "DX11 Feature 10.0 is required to run the engine" I used the command "dxdiag" to see what version of Direct X I was on and it said I was on 12.

Jul 29, 2019
Also I'm on the newest possible Windows 10 version (version 1803) but it does say there is a newer version (1903) but I can't install it yet. I also literally downloaded ALL of the bios updates and drivers for my mobo so idk if those things could be contributing to the issue.

Why can't you install it yet? I'd recommend downloading it, making new Windows media and doing a CLEAN install with the new installation media created with version 1903. There are lots of known problems with version 1803 on newer hardware.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a crock. 1903 is using a newly designed update mechanism, so what Microsoft is doing is fixing/updating 1803 on users pc's to enable the 1903 update to work properly, when you manually try to update, if your 180 3 isn't fixed it won't allow the update yet. It's taking its sweet time getting to everybody due to the amount of ppl using windows.

A clean install is not an update. You can manually download 1903 and use the media tool to slap it on USB. Unplug all storage drives except C and do a clean install, not the update. This wipes out 1803, any thoughts of 1803, any bugs from 1803 and starts a fresh 1903 full install, not an updated 1803.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, good chance. Remember when Windows 8 was supposed to be the next best thing, better than Windows 7? And it wasn't. So Microsoft released Windows 8.1 shortly afterwards. Same deal. There's too many unrelated bugs to fix individually, so they (supposedly) fixed the entire OS in 1903 including a manual download/update, so no more forced updates other than security patches. They basically went back to how updates were in Windows 7.

If you follow the directions in my guide I posted a link to earlier, it gives you ALL you need to know regarding how to manually go get the latest version, create the installation media and do a clean install. I suggest you read it through completely at least once before you begin. Twice would be better. Just to be sure you know EXACTLY what you plan to do at each step of the process. The only thing you really need are an internet connection and a flash drive. I think you'll find many of your problems are resolved but you will also want to be sure to first make sure you download each of the latest recommended drivers from your motherboard product page and save them either on another flash drive or go get and install them immediately after the clean install of Windows.

Jul 29, 2019
So update, I think I fixed it. I just reset my PC and wiped all the drives and did a fresh installation of Windows. I Downloaded the drivers again for my gpu/mobo and everything seems to be working fine :) I hope it stays this way. Thanks you guys for helping me I really appreciate it.