Question Help installing new graphics card.

Jun 5, 2022
Hi,

I am trying to install a new graphics card but just getting a black screen after rebooting. I can see the fan is running so it has power and appears to be connected correctly.

The new graphics card is MAXSUN Graphics Cards AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5 ITX 128-Bit DirectX 12 PCI Express x16 3.0 DVI-D Dual Link

My old graphics card was a AMD Radeon R9 270 PCI.

If I remove the new one and put the old one back in everything works again.

The old one has a separate power supply but the new one doesn't not sure if that is an issue.

Have I bought something that is incompatible with my system? Is there anything else i need to do or check?

My system is a Dell XPS Desktop Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
32 GB Ram and 64 bit running windows 8.1.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Dell has been known to BIOS lock their systems to only the GPU(s) offered. Might be worthwhile to search "Dell XPS (model #) GPU upgrade" and see if others have experienced this issue and do or don't have a workaround. I have run into this multiple times from Dell and specifically with XPS systems.

Jun 5, 2022
Hi,

Just an update I did a bit of research on the Dell forums and they recommend setting the secure boot mode to disabled.

Thread is here here

I tried rebooting with boot mode Secure setting is disabled and still the same result i..e. system does not boot and just see a black screen.

Tried dvi only rather than hdmi and same result.

I tried taking battery out and same result.

Any other things I can try?

If I return the card would there be a better alternative that is compatible?

I have upgraded graphics cards before on other pcs and never had these sorts of issues.

Not looking for anything with high performance i only use pc for day to day use and watching netflix in HD on my TV (1080p). My old graphics card has become very noisy so just wanted to get an equivalent that is quiet.

Thanks.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Research your specific model of PC for the "spec sheets" and look to see what it was offered with as option. Typically, those (may) be the only GPU that you can use with it. With a card as low power as a 550 I don't suspect PSU, so would start there.

Jun 14, 2022
It looks like this solution worked for others: Just an update I was not able to get my card working and I am just using the integrated graphics card for now, but it looks like this solution worked for others: Just an update I was not able to get my card working and I am just using the integrated graphics card for now, but it looks like this solution worked for others :