[SOLVED] Help installing Win10 on new build

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Hello. Im trying to install win10 on my new computer (hdd is new so its a fresh install). Apparently my mb does not support win7 so I had to download the win10's iso and make it bootable from an USB, I did it the same way as I used to when I used to install win7 on my older computers. Im having a lot of doubts on whats failing.. So I need some help.

Some things I think are important to consider:

• Motherboard is ASUS PRIME B360M-A
  • The only way I have to make the USB bootable is through a WinXP computer. I was following the guide from this site but it will not let me donwload the media creation tool from this OS. So I had to download the ISO and used the last Rufus (v 2.18) available version for XP, I have no idea if I did something wrong here, I'd like some guidance on which settings I should choose (I cleaned the usb already, to start from scratch)
  • I tried installing Win10 twice till now, one using FAT32 and the other one using NTFS. I didn't touch anything from the BIOS because I don't have the knowledge. Got the same error: "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now" (Tried every USB port and didn't solve the problem)
    - Edit: Also, internet went off a lot on this computer, so I was thinking that maybe that could be the cause for the drivers missing/or that the file could be corrupted.
Could anyone help me sort it out? Im kinda scared because the last time I got this error, which was recently, the HDD was broken.. so I dont know.

Solution
To make a bootable win10 installer usb memory stick: Format the usb memory to fat32 and set the bootable flag. Gparted can do that. Mount virtually the win10 iso file to your main drive and copy the win10 root folder to the usb memory recursively. Acetoneiso is in Debian for the virtual iso file mounting.

I managed to install windows10, now typing from new PC. Just used PowerISO instead of Rufus and it worked. Weird.
Could you give your PC specs and some history behind it ie; internet went off and on a lot on this computer (what is different from the previous install). If you can't use the MS Media Creation Tool to create a USB, I would not use Rufus, as there have been reported cases of Rufus made install USBs corrupting the install process; better to make an install DVD.

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Could you give your PC specs and some history behind it ie; internet went off and on a lot on this computer (what is different from the previous install). If you can't use the MS Media Creation Tool to create a USB, I would not use Rufus, as there have been reported cases of Rufus made install USBs corrupting the install process; better to make an install DVD.

Hi, thanks for answering.

MB: ASUS PRIME B360M-A
RAM: 8GB Crucial 2666mhz
CPU: i5 9400f
GPU: RX 460 2GB
HDD: Seagate barracuda 1TB
PSU: OCZ SXS 600W

Don't know if you were asking for the specs of the PC I am planning to install Win10 or the specs of the PC where I am making the USB bootable.
I don't know what else to add, but I have re-downloaded the ISO from windows website again, this time with no wifi going off. I tried to make the USB manually but with diskpart but the USB (E:) does not show when I type list disk it.

If its not recommendable to use Rufus what should I do? This version for XP is only allowing me to choose MBR. Don't know if that is important. The main issue I think is the "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now" error.

Im trying Rufus one more time, this time disabling the Secure Boot option as their FAQ says. Ask me whatever else you want to know, I will be awake for the rest of the night

Okay, first you said, internet went off a lot on this computer, which would seem to indicate a previous window install...

Try creating a DVD install media, rather than a USB from the Windows 10 ISO; if you don't have the software, download Imgburn http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Your motherboard actually does support Windows 7, with the exception of the on broad GPU chip (no windows 7 drivers) However, since you have add a discrete GPU (RX 460 2GB ), that does have windows 7 drivers, so you should be good to go.

Last edited:

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Okay, first you said, internet went off a lot on this computer, which would seem to indicate a previous window install...

Try creating a DVD install media, rather than a USB from the Windows 10 ISO; if you don't have the software, download Imgburn http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Your motherboard actually does support Windows 7, with the exception of the on broad GPU (no windows 7 drivers) However, since you have add a discrete GPU (RX 460 2GB ), that does have windows 7 drivers, so you should be good to go.

Ill keep in mind the DVD option as a last resource, since I don't have a dvd reader installed on the new computer, I have always used dvds till the day my DVD reader broke. When I said internet went off a lot I was refering to Win10 being downloaded (in the WinXP PC where I am making the bootable USB) and therefore it could have been a problem.

Are you sure it supports Win7? I tried to use the USB with Win7 and the installation menu did not even load, and Ive read that that chipset doesnt.

Ill keep in mind the DVD option as a last resource, since I don't have a dvd reader installed on the new computer;.

Are you sure it supports Win7? I tried to use the USB with Win7 and the installation menu did not even load, and Ive read that that chipset doesnt.
1) you can pickup an exterior dvd rw usb for less than $30.

2) Looking at the ASUS support/drivers website for your board, they do show Windows 7 drivers. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B360M-A/HelpDesk/ What media are you using to install windows 7?

You can get the chipset driver here. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/133332/Intel-B360-Chipset?pg=2&keyword=Intel® B360 Chipset

Last edited:

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
I wouldn't worry about the Bios and the chipset drivers are loaded after the OS is installed (I didn't say it would be easy loading Windows 7, only that it is possible if you can track down the drivers). I would start with obtaining a DVD player or get access to a PC with an OS newer than XP to operate the Windows Media Creator utility. I should mention, while I have had only a few tries, I have never successfully loaded an OS with a USB. I know it is the norm and commonly done, but DVD's have always worked flawlessly for me. BTW, the "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now" is almost always the result of a corrupted install media.

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
I wouldn't worry about the Bios and the chipset drivers are loaded after the OS is installed (I didn't say it would be easy loading Windows 7, only that it is possible if you can track down the drivers). I would start with obtaining a DVD player or get access to a PC with an OS newer than XP to operate the Windows Media Creator utility. I should mention, while I have had only a few tries, I have never successfully loaded an OS with a USB. I know it is the norm and commonly done, but DVD's have always worked flawlessly for me. BTW, the "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now" is almost always the result of a corrupted install media.

Yes I asked my friends to bring a laptop to try it out and also to make the pendrive bootable with the win media tool, but that wont happen till 1-2 days from here. Im asking about bios and motherboard drivers because Ive read some posts in this forum and one guy said the solution he got from ASUS support was clearing the CMOS, updating the BIOS from the usb pendrive, and clearing the CMOS again. I will be contacting ASUS tomorrow since now they are offline, dont want to disturb you anymore with this, problem is too uncommon and everyone seems to be fixing it by just switching usb ports

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
To make a bootable win10 installer usb memory stick: Format the usb memory to fat32 and set the bootable flag. Gparted can do that. Mount virtually the win10 iso file to your main drive and copy the win10 root folder to the usb memory recursively. Acetoneiso is in Debian for the virtual iso file mounting.

maet4

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

I managed to install windows10, now typing from new PC. Just used PowerISO instead of Rufus and it worked. Weird.

Solution