Question Help! Intel CPU Turbo Boost always all cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2019
Hi guyz,

I just upgraded to I5 9600k with Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI mobo.
My problem:

With stock settings, everything in AUTO in UEFI and Multicore Enhanced DISABLED (tried AUTO too), the Turbo Boost seems to be working, changing multiplier and VCore according to cpu load but NEVER reaching 4.6 or 4.5GHz expected when only 1 or 2 cores in load.
The system always raise all the 6 cores to 4.3Ghz on load, even when the CPU average load is >20%.
Tried different apps and games (modern and old ones), set affinity to force one core load, etc.
Every time is like the load is in all 6 cores and TurboBoost doesn't go over 4.4GHz.

I was expecting to have only 2 or 3 cores with high load in some apps and games, with the Boost going to 4.6 or 4.5GHz in those cores....

Is this normal? What can be wrong?

Check the image below, clock is variable but never touched over 4.5Ghz max....

HWInfo Screen: https://ibb.co/9V5CRNg

You will pretty much NEVER see a single core reach full boost speed because there is always more going on that requires multiple threads to be in use and even two cores in use will reduce the peak boost speed. Don't ever expect to see a single core being used at maximum advertised boost. It just really doesn't happen in real life. Or happens very, very rarely.

Keep in mind, just because a game or application is only using one or two cores, IF that is all they use, there are still other processes such as those continuously in use by Windows, or antivirus programs, system restore, auto degragmentation, various programs periodically checking for updates, many other processes running in the background other than just those related to what you are trying to do at the moment.

H9JyPbJ.png

Reactions: BluesmanRS
Sep 5, 2019
You will pretty much NEVER see a single core reach full boost speed because there is always more going on that requires multiple threads to be in use and even two cores in use will reduce the peak boost speed. Don't ever expect to see a single core being used at maximum advertised boost. It just really doesn't happen in real life. Or happens very, very rarely.

H9JyPbJ.png
Even when core load is 8 to 20%???
I was expecting, as example, 3 cores with >50% load and the others with <20% and the boost in 4.5.
If thats wrong, we NEVER gonna hit the 4.6GHz....

boju

Titan
Ambassador
300mhz is peanuts but if you really want 4.6 then enable core enhancement to on and not auto. Core enhancement to on might crash though depending how the motherboard handles voltages.

Alternatively, if you have decent cooling and air flow, learn how to overclock manually and try your luck reaching 5GHz on all cores.

Or, start small, get a decent aftermarket cooler and simply overclock the system to an all core 4.6Ghz to ensure that all cores are able to utilize that speed. Should not be hard to achieve at all if you have a decent motherboard and CPU cooler. Don't try it with a low end budget cooler. You'll just run into thermal problems. You do not however have to have top of the line twin finstack coolers or a giant liquid cooler to achieve this.

What you DO need is a decent 140mm air cooler or 240mm AIO water cooler, and I'd recommend also having two intake and two exhaust case fans as well.

If that is something you are interested in doing I'm sure we can help you considerably along the path.

Status
Not open for further replies.