Help! Is it my video card or motherboard?

keliason

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
My desktop is having issues. My guess is that it's the video card or the motherboard. I have a Dimension E510.

When I start up my computer, I get this:

8424.IMG_5F00_0353.jpg

Not more than 10 seconds later (before I can see the desktop), the monitor loses a signal. I tried running in setup (BIOS) and I got this:

2022.IMG_5F00_0350.jpg

This is what indicates to me that it's not a software problem. Now, I can start up in safe mode and pull my files off, but there is still major monitor distortion.

So what could this be? Is there a way to figure out if it's a video card vs. motherboard vs something else? If it's a motherboard, probably time to get a new computer. Hopefully it's just the video card and I can get a new one. Hopefully it'd be one that I could use in my next computer once i upgrade everything else.

Thanks so much to anyone that can help!

Solution
I looked at the System Requirements for the Radeon HD 4600 Series on AMD's website and it also specifies a 400 Watt or greater power supply.

Personally I think that either one of the cards you've linked to would work fine in the Dimension E510.
It looks like a GPU problem to me.

Are you using the Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA950) or a discrete graphics card?

If you're using the integrated GMA950 GPU you can try a discrete graphics card solution instead. Plugging in a discrete graphics card into the PCI Express x16 slot should automatically disable the integrated GMA950 GPU.

keliason

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

I switched to an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT. That's what I have now.

keliason

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I looked at the System Requirements for the Radeon HD 4600 Series on AMD's website and it also specifies a 400 Watt or greater power supply.

Personally I think that either one of the cards you've linked to would work fine in the Dimension E510.

Solution

TeeWee

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011

Hi Kel,
here's a saga... DELL replaced my GeForce 7300LE when I had an identical fault as yours. Good work on using the snapshot. It was within a few months of the warranty expiring. Well done to DELL. That second card had an identical failure within a month so I called DELL again. They came and replaced that 7300 LE with another. I asked if it was an inherent problem with the card or system. No comment. Now, less than a year later the card has failed again with the same fault. I don't Game too hard but I do like to be able to read the screen. I'm going for a HD 4670 which appears to be compatible with the PSU/CPU and space available. I 'almost' believe that the card/s failed when I updated their drivers from the DELL website. Coincidences?
Good luck with the 7600 GT and let me know why you chose the 7600GT.
Cheers,

Zed