[SOLVED] Help - Is my PSU compatible with the new z690

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
Hi all,

I have a system that I am planning to upgrade to rhe 12th gen. I was playing around pcpartpicker today and it says that z690 MSI Tomahawk wifi DDR4 is not compatible with my Corsair RM750i but it is compatible with the RM850i which is confusing.

Current system:
Z170
16GB ram
1080Ti
RM750i
860 evo m.2
Hyper 212

New parts that I ordered
12700KF
Z690 MSI tomahawk wifi ddr4
G skill trident z 32GB 3600MHz
Noctua NH-D15
980pro 1tb

Any thoughts or inputs welcomed

Solution
Thanks for the clarification. So a stupid question, why then does the pcie connectors looks very similar to the cpu connectors ? I posted a screenshot of it as well.

Because CPU and PCIe on the PSU side ARE the same.

Ok thanks for all of that info dude. I have been using a split cable for my 1080Ti and never it occur to me that that is not the best way to go.

There's nothing wrong with using the "pigtail cable" with your 1080 Ti. The RMi uses 16g wires and HCS terminals. Some cheaper PSUs use 18g wire and standard micro-fit jr. terminals so using a pigtail isn't always a good idea.

I think it is not luck but more of my CPU bottlenecking the GPU and the GPU doesnt go over 30-40% load thus the low power draw...
thats because of EPS12V connectors which feeds CPU
750i has just one, 850i has two
one eps (4+4pin) can feed your CPU with 150watts, 12600K draws up to 150watts when not overclocked, 12700K draws up to 190watts once again not overclocked
that mainboard has two of them to provide 300watts to your CPU, and your CPU will happily take it especially if you overclock
vhmkWrT.png

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
thats because of EPS12V connectors which feeds CPU
750i has just one, 850i has two
one eps (4+4pin) can feed your CPU with 150watts, 12600K draws up to 150watts when not overclocked, 12700K draws up to 190watts once again not overclocked
that mainboard has two of them to provide 300watts to your CPU, and your CPU will happily take it especially if you overclock
vhmkWrT.png
Thanks for the clarification. So a stupid question, why then does the pcie connectors looks very similar to the cpu connectors ? I posted a screenshot of it as well.

View: https://imgur.com/a/GQWW8ae

they are interchangeable, but take a look at it this way
750i has 3x 8pin
cables provided are 2x PCIE, 1X EPS
extra EPS cable wont be included, so you have to purchase it (have to be compatible with your PSU)
mainboard will take 2x EPS, and you have only 1 remaining for your GPU...1080ti is 2x8pin right?
we all know that pcie cable from PSU usualy has two 8pin connectors, but using both from same cable on power hungry GPU will cause stability issues

here some quote from overclockers forum
Always separate cables with high power draw graphics cards.
Using single split in the end cable doubles voltage losses compared to separate cable.
And not only does it affect stability of 12V, but also ground refence of the card, because current causes voltage loss also on return path.
(+ power loss in cable quadruples heating cable more)

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
they are interchangeable, but take a look at it this way
750i has 3x 8pin
cables provided are 2x PCIE, 1X EPS
extra EPS cable wont be included, so you have to purchase it (have to be compatible with your PSU)
mainboard will take 2x EPS, and you have only 1 remaining for your GPU...1080ti is 2x8pin right?
we all know that pcie cable from PSU usualy has two 8pin connectors, but using both from same cable on power hungry GPU will cause stability issues

here some quote from overclockers forum
Ok thanks for all of that info dude. I have been using a split cable for my 1080Ti and never it occur to me that that is not the best way to go.

This means from here I will need to get another PSU that have more connectors and separate the 1080Ti power cables into 2x8pin instead of using a splitter cable.

Would you mind recommending me some 1000W PSU?
I was looking at these, what do you think?

if you have been using it for a while and no issues, then you should be fine using it...some people just gets unlucky and usualy separate cables solves stability there

corsair should be slightly better, both both are tier A (best), so just price would rule one out :)

Last edited:

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
if you have been using it for a while and no issues, then you should be fine using it...some people just gets unlucky and usualy separate cables solves stability there
I think it is not luck but more of my CPU bottlenecking the GPU and the GPU doesnt go over 30-40% load thus the low power draw.

Should I try and use my PSU and do two cables to the CPU and a split cable for the 1080Ti?

Or better not risk it and just get a new PSU? I do have extra cables as I have purchase corsairs braided cables but I might need to go buy another Corsair PSU to make my cables worth it.

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
how old is your PSU? intel 6000 serie is like 2015, 750i has 10year warranty

I bought it towards the end of 2015 and yes it still has warranty

EDIT: I either will replace my PSU when I upgrade my GPU down the line (1-2 years from) but by the looks of it I might need to upgrade it sooner or later anyways. I am planning to keep my old parts as I think it is still a powerful system maybe not hardcore gaming but definitely can be used for day to day stuff.

There's nothing wrong with using the "pigtail cable" with your 1080 Ti. The RMi uses 16g wires and HCS terminals. Some cheaper PSUs use 18g wire and standard micro-fit jr. terminals so using a pigtail isn't always a good idea.

I think it is not luck but more of my CPU bottlenecking the GPU and the GPU doesnt go over 30-40% load thus the low power draw.

Should I try and use my PSU and do two cables to the CPU and a split cable for the 1080Ti?

Or better not risk it and just get a new PSU? I do have extra cables as I have purchase corsairs braided cables but I might need to go buy another Corsair PSU to make my cables worth it.

You're fine.

How is the CPU and GPU "bottlenecking"? Or is this just an assumption based on the bad information you've received?

Reactions: Mike_jo3
Solution

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015

You're fine.

How is the CPU and GPU "bottlenecking"? Or is this just an assumption based on the bad information you've received?

Well I know that my CPU is bottlenecking my gpu because when I play warzone. My CPU goes to 95-100% load and sometimes have spikes that shuts my pc off. While my gpu usage is at 30-40%, this is bade on the number that I see in the task manager resources.

so you are saying that it should be fine for me to stick with my RM750i ?