[SOLVED] [Help] Journey towards a gaming PC

Hnoor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
Hello,

A relative of mine (nephew) wants to upgrade his PC and most probably wants to build a new gaming PC.

The problem is he can't do it in one go. So it has to be done over a period of time.Image

I have attached the image of his PC . Which components should we upgrade first ?

Solution
How about some inexpensive kingston 8gb Ram and a new processor as a start.

Then later on he can get a new casing and a Mother board ?

Or is this a bad idea ?
Yes, this is a bad idea. Do not put any money in the old system in an attempt to ressurect it from the ashes. It appears to be an old HP model and upgrading those can be problematic anyway. Better to put the money toward a new system. Without knowing your budget it would be pointless to recommend options right now.

When building a new system, you can choose a CPU with onboard graphics and forgo buying a GPU, generally the most expensive component, until budget allows, but gaming on it will not be much of a viable option. Basically, it will be more of a home workstation...
Aug 31, 2020
first thing, you should post that pc full specification. For the parts you want to upgrade, i don't see that pc really upgradable for the current standard of 1080p gaming. The only thing i recognized and want to keep from that pc is the WD Blue HDD. Best option is just to be patient building it piece by piece unless you can complete building in one go.

if you plan to build new, first calculate how much maximum budget can be spent. There's a lot of youtube video explaining what pc you can build for that spesific budget, just make sure it's not a sponsored build for the sake of honesty

Reactions: alceryes
As @nabilfqh said, you'd be much better off building one from scratch. I would only keep the WD drive as a secondary drive in the new system.

What is your budget? Consider holding off until the holiday sales come around. If you don't want to build you could even nab a good pre-built (again, during holiday sales).

Hnoor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
first thing, you should post that pc full specification. For the parts you want to upgrade, i don't see that pc really upgradable for the current standard of 1080p gaming. The only thing i recognized and want to keep from that pc is the WD Blue HDD. Best option is just to be patient building it piece by piece unless you can complete building in one go.

if you plan to build new, first calculate how much maximum budget can be spent. There's a lot of youtube video explaining what pc you can build for that spesific budget, just make sure it's not a sponsored build for the sake of honesty

Or is this a bad idea ?

If a new CPU works with the current mobo, why are you upgrading in the first place? When you get a new mobo you will have to get a (another) new CPU that fits the new mobo.
Getting more RAM will probably make the current PC work better, but will it work with the upgraded mobo?
As stated above, if you don't tell us your current specs, it's difficult to suggest anyting.

Or is this a bad idea ?
Yes, this is a bad idea. Do not put any money in the old system in an attempt to ressurect it from the ashes. It appears to be an old HP model and upgrading those can be problematic anyway. Better to put the money toward a new system. Without knowing your budget it would be pointless to recommend options right now.

When building a new system, you can choose a CPU with onboard graphics and forgo buying a GPU, generally the most expensive component, until budget allows, but gaming on it will not be much of a viable option. Basically, it will be more of a home workstation until the GPU is installed. Others here may have a different opinion on the subject of how you should proceed. This is mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hnoor
Solution

Hnoor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014

When building a new system, you can choose a CPU with onboard graphics and forgo buying a GPU, generally the most expensive component, until budget allows, but gaming on it will not be much of a viable option. Basically, it will be more of a home workstation until the GPU is installed. Others here may have a different opinion on the subject of how you should proceed. This is mine.

Ok thank you. I will ask him to get a Motherboard with an onboard graphics card (Intel Integrated).

Hnoor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
The motherboard does not have the video card, it's in the CPU. If you are looking to play games on the system with onboard graphics get an AMD CPU not Intel, they are much faster with integrated graphics.

He said he wants to play Runescape on it , is this good enough:

Motherboard : MSi PRO B450M PRO-M2 MAX
CPU : Ryzen 3 3200G

Last edited: