[SOLVED] (HELP) Just switched to ethernet but have slower speeds...

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello, so today I moved the router into my room so I can use ethernet but I get slower speeds over a wired connection then I did using wireless.

The other day I made a post about how overnight my wireless internet speed went from 200mbps to about 20mbps seemingly for no reason, after a few days I had enough of the slow speeds and decided to move the router to my room.

(Original Post)

Now I have the wired connection I am only getting about 150-180mbps which is well below the gig I am paying for.
Now I must explain that on my phone wirelessly I get about 300mbps which makes no sense.

Sys Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
TUF Gaming x570-Plus (WI-FI) (Using the wired connection tho)
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (x2) DDR4
Windows 10 X64

I don't know a whole lot about how internet works or the connections themselves so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Since a phone is faster the pc is not working correctly. It is highly likely it is some crap in windows but there is the small chance it is hardware. I guess it depends on what you want to try. You could just wipe the drive and reinstall windows and all the drivers. I would try a linux boot image but if that show no problem you are back to trying a windows reinstall. I guess maybe a very cheap thing to try first is a new etherent cable. It is unlikely but would be sad to reinstall and then find it was a simple cable issue.
How did you move the router to your room. I am guessing this is using coax cable to connect ?

If you are paying for a gigabit connection you should get gigabit speeds on speedtest. There could be some issue with cabling in your house, you need to connect to the cable as it comes into the house without any splitters etc if possible. If you do not get the speed connected like this call the ISP and have them come out and fix it. You should always ask the tech to actually test the connection while you stand there to be sure you are getting the speeds you pay for. Be careful to test though if it really is your in house coax or splitters they will many times charge you.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
How did you move the router to your room. I am guessing this is using coax cable to connect ?

If you are paying for a gigabit connection you should get gigabit speeds on speedtest. There could be some issue with cabling in your house, you need to connect to the cable as it comes into the house without any splitters etc if possible. If you do not get the speed connected like this call the ISP and have them come out and fix it. You should always ask the tech to actually test the connection while you stand there to be sure you are getting the speeds you pay for. Be careful to test though if it really is your in house coax or splitters they will many times charge you.

It was the tech that hoked the coax into their system or whatever, before we used a different one in a different room.
He switched it so there were no splitters and he was getting a gig on his phone.

At this point I don't think that its a problem with the ISP as much as there is probably a problem with my PC
Even on my phone I get about the same speed over wifi, sometimes its even faster on wifi.

Edit 1: My speeds over ethernet

Asus ships some crap "gamer" network stuff with the motherboard. You want to uninstall that if you installed it.

I guess you could try a linux boot image and see if that gets proper rates. That would eliminate windows being the issues. If it is a issue under unix all I can think of is you have a bad ethernet cable.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Asus ships some crap "gamer" network stuff with the motherboard. You want to uninstall that if you installed it.

I guess you could try a linux boot image and see if that gets proper rates. That would eliminate windows being the issues. If it is a issue under unix all I can think of is you have a bad ethernet cable.

Is it something which is directly on the motherboard or are you referring to the adaptor which comes with it?

The adaptor itself is unplugged entirely but I don't know of anything on the motherboard.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Are you sure you just mix mega-bit per second (use for network performance) vs. mega-bytes per second (use for file size) ?
Well its irrelevant since that has nothing to do with it
I get 200 mbps on PC through ethernet, I get 270 on my phone over wifi and im paying for 1000.

The PC speedtest uses mega bit, my phone uses mega bit and my ISP uses mega bit.

Since a phone is faster the pc is not working correctly. It is highly likely it is some crap in windows but there is the small chance it is hardware. I guess it depends on what you want to try. You could just wipe the drive and reinstall windows and all the drivers. I would try a linux boot image but if that show no problem you are back to trying a windows reinstall. I guess maybe a very cheap thing to try first is a new etherent cable. It is unlikely but would be sad to reinstall and then find it was a simple cable issue.

Solution