Help! Kids need a new Mother... board -- Compaq Presario CQ5320F Desktop w/ upgrades

CigarXO

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
I have a Compaq Presario CQ5320F Desktop set-up for my 3 daughters. It will remain primarily a web surfing, homework/word processing, entertainment (music, pics) machine. Recently, it just failed to start. Ran it to Geek Squad who provided "free" diagnosis and isolated the Motherboard. I'm a novice, this is my first, but I'd like to get into the case and replace/upgrade it myself verses canning it because it already has a PowerSource upgrade (EVGA 80plus 500W) and dedicated video card upgrade (EVGA Nvidia GEFORCE GT 610) and RAM expansion to 8GB (2x4GB DDR3 DIMM 240pin PC3-10600). I did these things trying to get WIN10 Home Edition 64bit working. So, the WIN10 is also a clean install USB Media Creator which I have.

I am hoping you can just give me some quick plug-n-play aftermarket solutions. My head is spinning. I've discovered the threads here, started a build and component record on PCPartPicker and listings on Egghead. Seems my options are:

1. Get same motherboard: Pegatron Narra6 mATX w/ NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 chipset, AM3 socket, 2xDDR3, 1xPCIx16 slot, 2xPCI x1, 1PCI. and hopefully AMD Athlon II x2 240 CPU is okay and OS boots up. I realize this is a pretty basic machine.

2. Upgrade Motherboard & CPU --- within reason < cost of new machine or $200? Future upgrades of SSD and RAM are possible. But, as I move into this domain, all the many variables start to confuse:
Will I ever get BIOS and OS back running?
If I've upgraded motherboard and CPU - what other components constrain performance and put a cap on MB & CPU upgrade?

What else do I need to share to get a few product ideas. You can see where I started heading on PCPartPicker - but, thought I was constrained by AM3 socket.

Thanks in advance,
CigarXO

shouthouse

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Good advice. I think I recently saw a similar combo for around 140 too so that's even a plus!

shouthouse

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
OK 2 things. If you only get a mobo and youre trying to skimp a bit then that works. Just get the right slot and you should be ok with the current cpu.

If you're trying to uograde with a new cpu then you're wasting your money with the AMD route and you'd be better off in the very long run with the i3. If you have a microcenter near you I was able to price out after rebates close to 135 for an i3 and matx board.

CigarXO

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016

shouthouse & heavyarty9 -
Thanks for your input. Of course, switching to Intel based MB means I had to familiarize with all the families of MBs, MB chipsets and CPUs. While I am interested in advancing my kid's home computer beyond the simple base model it was/is primarily because I have invested in the power supply, dedicated video and expanded RAM already that I hate to toss - it clicked for me that the Intel MB would require an upgrade to DDR4 288pin RAM and case accessories like 3.0 USB ports.(where do you get these?). I'm starting to reach $250 in parts. Its possible to get sucked into building more than needed, but it is also a great learning exercise. For example, help me with these:

1. Your suggested MSI B150 Mortar gaming MB verses I found the MSI B150 Pro-VD MB on sale $51 vs $69. Do I need 64gb (4 slots) vs 34gb (2 slots) of RAM expansion? I'm only at an upgraded from 3 to 8 to run WIN10.

2. This RAM question made me step back and wonder, at what point is the CPU vs RAM the constraining factor on computer performance. If I go Intel-based B150 MB and i3 6100 CPU, is 8GB or 16GB enough, much less 32-64?
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/XPwCr7

3. This made me review the AMD-based 970chip set with FX4350 4.2GHz CPU. I could stay with my 8GB DDR3 1066 RAM and be all done for $130. But, does 8GB of 1066 DDR3 drastically underperform a computer with 16GB DDR4 2133? Where do I prioritize my trade-offs? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CigarXO/saved/wyMZLk

Thanks so much!!
CigarXO

heavyartillary9

Respectable
Sep 29, 2016

im gonna have to check into it, but i think there are some ddr3 boards for the new skylake

shouthouse

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

No you wouldn't. Especially if you were to go for one of the 4000 generation i3's which is honestly probably even cheaper. "Familiarizing" yourself with the intel motherboards is no more difficult than knowing how to drive a different brand of car. They all have corresponding numbers to the socket.

Sounds a lot like you don't want advice and that you already know what you want to do, so do it.