Help!! lag when gaming laptop has low battery!!

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018
Hey guys, I need your help, a friend of mine has an asus gaming laptop, I dont know the specs, I know its recent.
So he complained cuz of heavy moments of lag when playing gta v, he could barely move, I was surprised cuz we were playing gta v which is a really old game, and actually sometimes it got lag others it didnt get it.

So last night he was getting the lag, and he told me had low battery, so I looked it up, and yep it seems laptops get lag when battery is low, thanks to the saving battery life function it has.
He told me that the game drained the battery to quick tho, is this normal?
And my question is, what is the best way of using a gaming laptop regarding the battery?

He told me where he got it, told him to not keep it plugged and charge it always above 30 percent, so whats the best way to use a gaming lptop?

Thank you so much everyone in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, with a low battery, laptops will generally reduce power consumption.
This means less performance.

If he were to change the power settings, it wouldn't "lag" quite so much, but it would also run out of battery much much faster.

Can't have long battery life AND high performance.

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018
Yes, with a low battery, laptops will generally reduce power consumption.
This means less performance.

If he were to change the power settings, it wouldn't "lag" quite so much, but it would also run out of battery much much faster.

Can't have long battery life AND high performance.
Thank you so much for the answer, and you are right, if he wants to game with a good performance, he gotta sacrifice battery in the long run.

It's usually best to run games while the system is plugged in. Otherwise, it's likely to throttle performance to some extent even when the battery isn't low. Running games on battery power will tend to drain the battery fast too, so it's not really practical outside of short gaming sessions.

While it's probably best for battery health to not leave a laptop plugged in all the time, it's probably worth keeping it plugged in while gaming. You should check whether it gets better performance when plugged in.

Do you happen to know if the laptop has an easily replaceable battery, in case its capacity decreases significantly after a few years or so?

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
It's usually best to run games while the system is plugged in. Otherwise, it's likely to throttle performance to some extent even when the battery isn't low. Running games on battery power will tend to drain the battery fast too, so it's not really practical outside of short gaming sessions.

While it's probably best for battery health to not leave a laptop plugged in all the time, it's probably worth keeping it plugged in while gaming. You should check whether it gets better performance when plugged in.

Do you happen to know if the laptop has an easily replaceable battery, in case its capacity decreases significantly after a few years or so?

But then you get the case where it overheats more (when plugged in) and then throttles the performance because of that. This happens with mine.

Reactions: jimenezbcg

TRENDING THREADS