Help -- Linksys WRT54G goes off-air about once every 2 min..

PeterH

Has anyone experienced this problem? I installed a Linksys WRT54G approx 6
months ago. It worked great for 4 months, then started dropping the signal
once-in-a-while and now drops it about every two minutes -- a worthless
network connection at best. I'm using a Toshiba laptop with built-in
802.11g networking hardware. I was at an Altex Electronics store recently
and the sales person there said he pushes customer's away from Linksys for
this and other mysterious problems. I've updated the firmware in the 54G to
the latest, but the dropout problem continues. I have not added any other
2.4 GHz devices in the house since I first installed the 54G.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter

rico

In article <DF5hc.3883$hR1.2502@fe2.texas.rr.com>, "PeterH" <pheitman@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>Has anyone experienced this problem? I installed a Linksys WRT54G approx 6
>months ago. It worked great for 4 months, then started dropping the signal
>once-in-a-while and now drops it about every two minutes -- a worthless
>network connection at best. I'm using a Toshiba laptop with built-in
>802.11g networking hardware. I was at an Altex Electronics store recently
>and the sales person there said he pushes customer's away from Linksys for
>this and other mysterious problems. I've updated the firmware in the 54G to
>the latest, but the dropout problem continues. I have not added any other
>2.4 GHz devices in the house since I first installed the 54G.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Peter

I know this is worthless information for you, but I have one and it has
worked great from day one. What does Cisco/Linksys have to say?

PeterH wrote:
> Has anyone experienced this problem? I installed a Linksys WRT54G
> approx 6 months ago. It worked great for 4 months, then started
> dropping the signal once-in-a-while and now drops it about every two
> minutes -- a worthless network connection at best. I'm using a
> Toshiba laptop with built-in 802.11g networking hardware. I was at
> an Altex Electronics store recently and the sales person there said
> he pushes customer's away from Linksys for this and other mysterious
> problems. I've updated the firmware in the 54G to the latest, but
> the dropout problem continues. I have not added any other
> 2.4 GHz devices in the house since I first installed the 54G.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Peter

The current drop-out is reminiscent of having 802.11x Authentication
checked when there is no authentication server. Otherwise, in the
wireless connection, make sure that your network is the only network in
Preferred Networks, and under the advanced button, Automatically connect
to non-preferred networks is unchecked. Broadcast SSID if you do not
already do so; there is no reason not to broadcast SSID, and it helps
with maintaining connection.

>PeterH wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced this problem? I installed a Linksys WRT54G
>> approx 6 months ago. It worked great for 4 months, then started
>> dropping the signal once-in-a-while and now drops it about every two
>> minutes -- a worthless network connection at best. I'm using a
>> Toshiba laptop with built-in 802.11g networking hardware. I was at
>> an Altex Electronics store recently and the sales person there said
>> he pushes customer's away from Linksys for this and other mysterious
>> problems. I've updated the firmware in the 54G to the latest, but
>> the dropout problem continues. I have not added any other
>> 2.4 GHz devices in the house since I first installed the 54G.

I'm getting the same exact problem with my Linksys Wireless G game
adapter coupled with the WRT54G. I have to go downstairs and power
cycle the game adapter to get the connection going again. Annoying.