Help logging into W2K

G

I'm definately sleeping on the couch tonite. I was trying to setup my wife's laptop to connect to my computer. She has W2K and I have Windows XP. Anyways she uses it to log in at her work and I for some reason changed her network settings from domain to workgroup. And now when it boots up her user name and password aren't recognized. I think it had some type of logon script that knows that it's supposed to have a domain instead of a workgroup.

Well, can anyone help? I can't boot to a floppy or to dos (cuz dos doesn't exist anymore in W2K). How do I change the network settings when I have neither the W2K CD or boot disks?

Any help would be appreciated since I don't really feel like looking for quarters and tv remotes in the couch all night long.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
oops

What is happening now, is that its asking for the pasword for the LOCAL COMPUTER- i.e. the laptop and not the domain, you NEED the local password or the admin password for the pc.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
yep...there is a local administrator account that you'll have to use to login and change it back to the domain. It is very likely that her administrators at work have kept this secret. You're probably going to have to let them fix it.

Being an admin myself - I'd probably chew the better part of your wife's butt off for letting you fool with it. :)

G

You're right about the local admin password. The admins in her company sorta chuckled when she told them what happened. Her company has over 1,000 laptops traveling around the country and apparently this happens quite often. Now as far as someone wanting to nibble on my wife's butt....well only I get to do that. Thanks for the help guys...and/or gals.

Groundhogster

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
What I want to know is how did you take it off the domain if you didn't have admin rights under her account?

Are you the friend who works on computers? :cool:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
because when you get the login box, you have the option to log on to the domain, or locally

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

TRENDING THREADS