Help - looking for high end capture card

G

Hello,

I need help choosing a good quality capture board. I need
the board with a hardware encoder, a TV-Tuner, Composite-in and S-video-in that supports all 3 TV standards
(NTSC/PAL/SECAM) and the one that can capture directly in MPEG-2 DVD compatible (720x...), MPEG-2 SVCD compatible (480x...) and MPEG-1 VCD compatible formats. I'm in
the US so if TV-tuner is just NTSC, it's fine, however, the
rest (s-vid and composite) should support all 3 formats. I need a TV tuner to schedule the programming recordings
kinda like what TiVO does) and then if needed burn it onto DVD-R. One more thing. I prefer this capture board does NOT
process the sound and leave this procedure to my soundcard.
I have M-Audio Audiophile 2496 with the best quality one
can find and it sure will do a better job than any sound chips found on capture boards.

There's one from VisionTek Everything that just came out, but it's got software encoder so it will not perform well if I capture directly into MPEG-2 DVD format.
Matrox RT2500 doesn't have TV-tuner. Neither do
Pinnacle boards nor Canapus boards. Hauppage WinTV PVR can't do more that 704x... resolution and I'm not too certain it supports all 3 formats (plus I've heard too many
bad things about Hauppage boards).
So if there exist other boards that suites all the above reqs, please let me know. Thanks.

--Leonid

G

Your problem is that No High End capture card will jave a TV tuner/capturing from TV options.
Most high end capture cards work in some property format or in DV.

If you need Mpg2 DVD then look for the Pinnacle DC1000 card.
for more High end system look for the Pinnacle T3K. it work with high quality property video but have a real time transcoder to Mpg2 for DVD.
Curently no mpg1 option.

most cards like the Pinnacle, Matrox and Canopus have some excelerated Mpg2 exporting option.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
apart the TV-tuner, the NTSC/PAL/SECAM is vcr dependant.

for the TV-tuner you can't have NTSC/PAL/SECAM together.

NTSC for US
PAL for Europe (apart France)
SECAM for France (which supports also PAL).

so, more simply you have:

NTSC/PAL (US)
or
PAL/SECAM (Europe)

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.