HELP! Loss of video out, need help fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbluhm7

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
so here's my issue, I've been meaning to upgrade to Windows 10 lately but my c drive is a relatively small 60gb ssd. so in order to clear up 5gb I thought it would be a great idea to temporarily move some folders from "program files" and " users/roaming" to an external, because "clearly only 3rd party programs use those locations, right?"
well, not long into the process windows required a restart for the install to continue. and coming out of the restart I no longer see anything on my screens. sounds indicate successful startup/shutdown but nothing is reaching the screens I plug in. not even the bios. I have 2 HDMI screens and an older vga monitor I'm troubleshooting with.
in my limited knowledge of PCs I'm guessing I moved some essential video driver files off of the c drive which it needs to operate normally, but that's only a guess.

ideally I would love to reach a clean install of windows 10. all of my important data is on an external drive so my c drive can get nuked for all I care if the easiest way out of this mess demands such action. but I have no idea where to start.. Help!

I'm running a home-built Windows 7 pc with the following hardware:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Motherboard: ASRock 980DE3
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X (x2)
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 60GB
Video: Asus Radeon HD 7870
Power: Corsair Builder 600WW

also, I should still have the install disks for the pc hardware somewhere.

thanks tom's hardware forum!

Slashgeek

Admirable
You can perform a clean installation of Windows 10 without loss of data, though you say that it doesn't really matter to you.

Download and run the Windows media creation tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use it to create a USB or DVD installer for Windows 10. Boot through your new installation media and perform a "Custom" installation. You can choose whether or not to format your SSD.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS