Question Help! Lots of beeps when I install my GPU!

exentrick

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Hello all,

I'll try to include as much info here as possible, but please let me know if you need more information.

I have a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard (BIOS revision F7) with a 9700K CPU and 32 gigs of 2x16 RAM. PSU is an 850 watt Prime from Seasonic. I'm running a custom watercooling loop for my CPU and GPU and just had my pump fail. So, I order a new pump and in the meantime, broke down my entire loop to clean in. I reassembled it and leak tested it with the new pump: no leaks.

Unfortunately, it would not POST with my GPU installed (RTX 2080 Super). However, it boots up just fine if the GPU is removed and I run the system off the iGPU. Here is what I have tried:
  • swapping RAM
  • different PCIe slots
  • At this point, I assumed I broke my GPU, so I bought a new graphics card (7900 XTX) and having the same problem
  • New PSU cables for the 8 pin connectors.
  • Praying
It has started to give me 5 beeps when trying to POST, which seems to be some kind of CPU error code, but I can't find any documentation from Gigabyte on deciphering POST beeps.

What I haven't tried yet:
  • Replacing the PCIe riser cable or plugging it directly into the PCIe slot (This requires some disassembly, which I couldn't bring myself to do last night)
  • Updating BIOS to newest revision (F12), which looks like I should do anyway

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

X

Sep 7, 2023
5 beeps is no VGA display device detected...

Try different ports, or HDMI to a TV. If no luck, then the GPU is shutting down or not even activating. I once replaced thermal pads that were too thick, the GPU shutdown from the cooler not making contact.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Sounds like your GPU met it's demise after 4 years of service.

If it's still under warranty, seek an rma. Otherwise, the 7800xt just came out, go check it out and see if you want that.

exentrick

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
5 beeps is no VGA display device detected...

Try different ports, or HDMI to a TV. If no luck, then the GPU is shutting down or not even activating. I once replaced thermal pads that were too thick, the GPU shutdown from the cooler not making contact.
I did try different ports and both HDMI/Displayport, but I'll try hooking it up to my TV as well. The thermal pad issue may be a problem on my 2080, but I also got a brand new 7900 xtx that is incurring the same problem, so I don't think that's it.

Sounds like your GPU met it's demise after 4 years of service.

If it's still under warranty, seek an rma. Otherwise, the 7800xt just came out, go check it out and see if you want that.
It's definitely possible I killed it while fiddling with the waterblock, but I did also try with a brand new card and have the same problem =(.

Try doing this. I know it's a PITA, but you need to do this to narrow down what isn't working.
I'll give this a shot tonight as well.

Thanks again,

X

exentrick

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
May be the power supply !!! The additional 6 or 8 pin PCIe connection or part of the PSU may be bad.
I do have an old 650 W kicking around. I could use that to power the PCIe connectors separately from the rest of the system. One more test for this evening.

Thanks!

Reactions: Cybase8

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Either the motherboard or the power supply (as someone else suggested) is the culprit.

Try the power supply first because it's easier to replace. If that doesn't fix it, the motherboard is definitely fried.