[SOLVED] HELP - Low GPU usage problem while gaming ?

May 20, 2021
I recently bought a 1650 Super to pair it with an intel i7 3770. While trying some games I realized that the GPU usage while gaming fluctuates a lot (From 40 to 70) and the CPU usage also fluctuates a lot. I feel like i do not get the fps i should and games also feel laggy while having +100 fps sometimes. I want to know if the low GPU usage is because of the CPU bottlenecking the system or if there might be another problem causing it. Also, wanted to know if the problem can be caused by having 8 gb of RAM, or by it's being only 1333Mhz.
For example, I play apex legends and I've been getting really unstable fps, with the GPU usage fluctuating a lot (From 40 to 70 as I said), and getting bad lag while having decent fps (Reaching even 144 fps). GPU and CPU temps don't exceed 65 °C.
Full specs:
  • 500 w seasonic ps.
  • 1650 Super (MSI GAMING X).
  • Intel i7-3770. 3.40 GHz
  • 8 gb of RAM (Dual channel, 1333Mhz).
  • 240 Gb SSD and 1TB HDD.
I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Fps is all about the cpu. Eye candy is gpu.
In the game settings, you'll find that certain lighting affects, viewing distance etc have a larger impact on fps because they are basically cpu commands. The rest are all graphical details, and those'll only affect fps if set higher than the gpu can tolerate.

Yes, 8Gb of ram can hurt, but not necessarily, depending on just how much ram the pc is using. If it's 7+Gb, then it'll start pagefiling higher data amounts to your storage, and fps will tank.

Yes, 1333MHz is going to be somewhat of a problem, but that also depends on the timings. CL9 is somewhat slow, but CL7 is basically the same as 1600 CL9, so timings can play a part in fps amounts.

As long as you are sure the ram is actually...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In the game settings, you'll find that certain lighting affects, viewing distance etc have a larger impact on fps because they are basically cpu commands. The rest are all graphical details, and those'll only affect fps if set higher than the gpu can tolerate.

Yes, 8Gb of ram can hurt, but not necessarily, depending on just how much ram the pc is using. If it's 7+Gb, then it'll start pagefiling higher data amounts to your storage, and fps will tank.

Yes, 1333MHz is going to be somewhat of a problem, but that also depends on the timings. CL9 is somewhat slow, but CL7 is basically the same as 1600 CL9, so timings can play a part in fps amounts.

As long as you are sure the ram is actually placed in dual channel, not relying on the sellers claims of 'dual channel ram', that's as good as you can expect.

Usage is misleading. It's not how much of the gpu is used but how much the gpu uses. When it propagates all the frames in a second, it'll only use whatever resources it needs to use to accomplish that. So only a certain % of its vram, only so many cores, only so much power etc. The only ways to increase usage is raise the detail levels you set, or raise the amount of fps the cpu sends. But whether that's 40% or 90% doesn't make a difference, it's only at 100% that the gpu is a liability. It has no more to give, no room to change, so fps stagnates.

Last edited:
Solution
May 20, 2021

As long as you are sure the ram is actually placed in dual channel, not relying on the sellers claims of 'dual channel ram', that's as good as you can expect.

Usage is misleading. It's not how much of the gpu is used but how much the gpu uses. When it propagates all the frames in a second, it'll only use whatever resources it needs to use to accomplish that. So only a certain % of its vram, only so many cores, only so much power etc. The only ways to increase usage is raise the detail levels you set, or raise the amount of fps the cpu sends. But whether that's 40% or 90% doesn't make a difference, it's only at 100% that the gpu is a liability. It has no more to give, no room to change, so fps stagnates.
I understand. I do tend to use 7+Gb of ram in most games i play, so maybe that can be one of the problems causing my stuttering and bad gaming experience. Also, I just checked and the ram is CL9. Do you think that upgrading to 16Gb 1600 Mhz will make a significant difference? Would it be worth it? Or should I save to upgrade the cpu, ram and mobo?
Thanks for your answer!

Last edited: