Question Help me block Youtube on Motorola Arris SBG6580

Feb 18, 2019
I have such a cable router and want to block access to Youtube because the kids are starting to have problems at school because of stupid fail videos.

The modem has a special section where I can block certain domains under 'Parental Control'

First I add a domain like 'youtube.com' to the list of blocked domains, then I check the box 'enable parental control'.

After this I have no access to any internet domains. No google, no fb, no cnn, whatever.

When I disable parental control, obviously no blocking occurs.

There are instruction manuals for my modem version like the one found here:

https://arris.secure.force.com/cons...ntent-Policy-Setup/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

I have identical screens but they do not seem to work. I will probably need a more detailed guide to set up the policy so that I know which boxes to tick in which order.

More detailed would be search youtube for a guide.

My guess from a quick read is you put in a allow policy instead of a deny policy but that is only a guess. These things are tricky because no 2 routers do it the same way.

The main concern I would have would be how it thinks it can do this. It must be doing it via DNS intercept. Problem is if the end machine is set to use a actual DNS rather than use the router as a proxy I can't see how it can work. It would have to block the IP addresses. Pretty easy to test this set the dns in your machine to 8.8.8.8 and see if it blocks it.

If your kids have any skills at all they will soon be using VPN to bypass you.

Feb 18, 2019
Unfortuntely Youtube does not have that type of information. I have already checked that. I am just hoping that somebody had a similar problem and has found a solution. I only write the address of one website in the blocked domain list but once I turn parental control on, it blocks everything...

if your following the rules in your Motorola user manual and your not getting the proper result I would contact y9our isp or Motorola for help, I am unfamiliar with blocking domain names in a cable modem, versus doing it on a actual router.

and You are NOT using a router for your house? as in there is ONLY one computer connected to this device? no wifi devices at your home ?
if the answer is yes, there are multiple devices then please advise what is your ROUTER make and model