Help me build a $1000 PC that will outperform my current one

kilerquin

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
So around 2 years ago, I bought this prebuilt PC for around $1300 I think it was. Here are the specs:
CPU: i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
GPU: R9 270
RAM: 24GB
Storage: 2TB HDD and 256GB SSD

Only this past month have I realized how bad of an investment it was, so I am planning to sell the parts and build a new gaming PC... except I don't know how to build a PC. I was hoping if someone here could suggest a build for me. My budget is $1000 and I want it to be more powerful than my current PC. This budget does not include my monitor because I am buying a new one soon anyways. I'd like at least a 256 GB SSD in the build as well since I prefer SSD over HDD. If I should include more specs or if I should keep any parts from my current PC, please tell me. Thanks in advance to anybody who responds!

Solution
Hones;ty, that's not really a bad investment. The only thing I would change is the GPU. You could possibly upgraded to a 4790K, but I don't think an extra boost clock would matter. Also, it depends on your motherboard. Keep the hard drive and SSD (or add another one) and just upgrade the GPU. You have enough RAM and you still have 4 cores and 8 threads. Again keep the build and call it a day.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($174.58 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($518.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $692.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when...
Hones;ty, that's not really a bad investment. The only thing I would change is the GPU. You could possibly upgraded to a 4790K, but I don't think an extra boost clock would matter. Also, it depends on your motherboard. Keep the hard drive and SSD (or add another one) and just upgrade the GPU. You have enough RAM and you still have 4 cores and 8 threads. Again keep the build and call it a day.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($174.58 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($518.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $692.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-26 15:10 EDT-0400

Solution

kilerquin

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017

Thanks for the advice! I'm getting a 144hz monitor to play CS:GO on, staying at 1080p. What GPU should I get to be able to play CSGO max settings at 144 fps?