Help me Build a Cheap gaming PC please?

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Im working on building a cheap gaming PC for my friend who has purchased the HTC vive VR headset. He wants to use it with steam. I personally have never built a gaming computer that needed to meet specific specifications. So i started by lending him my computer that i made for gaming but only use it to run emulators and such.
Here are the specs of my computer that he is using now to test.
It is an
HP Pavilion p7-1421
AMD A8 Trinity Quad Core 3.2Ghz Turbo 3.7
16GB DDR3 1866Mhz
ASUS GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
If you need more information to assist me just ask and I'll provide the information.
This set up seems to be running the VR games hes playing fine. Everything seems to work good and il probably build a similar computer for him.
But i was looking at Open Hardware Monitor while he was playing and have a concern with the GPU. I took a couple pictures that i will post below. The GPU is running the games fine he says but as i look at the hardware monitor the GPU is also appears to be at its limit when hes playing with the VR headset. It has 2GB of memory and when hes playing there are only a couple megabytes free. So should i upgrade the card to a 4GB GDDR5 when i build his computer?
And do you see anything else on Open Hardware Monitor that i should be concerned about?
I think everything else looks good but i want a couple other opinions.
Thanks

This is when i first turn the computer on: https://ibb.co/ddZEov

These 2 are while hes playing games with the VR headset: https://ibb.co/hyuQva
https://ibb.co/ir9saa

Sorry. I tried to post the images but when i published the thread they werent showing up, so here are the links instead to the images.

Solution
Certainly pegging the scale on the 750Ti. "VR Ready" cards start at a bit higher performance typically.

Really depends on what you have to spend what can be recommended.

750Ti was supplanted by the GTX950, and that has been supplanted by the GTX1050. Arguments could also be made for the RX460.

With a little more budget the RX470 and GTX1060 3GB start to make more sense. But RX480 8GB and the GTX1060 6GB are what I would choose for a new VR ready build.

But that still leaves the rest of the system.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly pegging the scale on the 750Ti. "VR Ready" cards start at a bit higher performance typically.

Really depends on what you have to spend what can be recommended.

750Ti was supplanted by the GTX950, and that has been supplanted by the GTX1050. Arguments could also be made for the RX460.

With a little more budget the RX470 and GTX1060 3GB start to make more sense. But RX480 8GB and the GTX1060 6GB are what I would choose for a new VR ready build.

But that still leaves the rest of the system.

Solution

manddy123

Admirable
How much is he willing to spend on this build?
It seems he's playing light weight VR games, i don't know much about their requirements ( as i don't own a VR set ) but i believe they will soon increase and IMO a 750Ti won't be able to handle them smoothly.

I believe a entry-level build with intel and maybe a GTX 1060 will be a great option for a longer run with VR games.