[SOLVED] Help me build a mini pc for Data Science

Dec 7, 2019
I'm looking to build a new quiet (silnce and power efficiency are very important to me) mini-pc desktop for learning Data Science and doing side projects at home (i.e competitions).

The reason I'm going for a mini-pc is: I don't need portability, so laptop is not an option. Normal power supplies are very noisy and power hungry, thus I'm searching for something with a low voltage external power brick, and lastly, I don't game nor use CUDA, so I don't need a GPU either.

That leaves me with 2 options:

1. Build an Intel NUC
  2. Build a mini-itx system inside an Antec ISK-110 case, which comes with a 90w PSU

I can get the NUC in 3 options:
A. i3-8109U processor (3.0 GHz - 3.6 GHz, Dual Core, 4 MB Cache)
B. i5-8259U processor (2.3 GHz - 3.8 GHz, Quad Core,6 MB Cache)
C. i7-8559U Processor (2.70GHz - 4.50 GHz, Quad Core,8 MB Cache)

I always wondered if "laptop hardware" is good enough for Data Science, and I fear the NUC's fan will eventually coil whine like in many laptops.
Obviously the i7 is the most powerful of the three, but I wonder if it will be an overkill, or on the contrary, not enough for DS projects.

The other option is the ISK-110, which can accomodate a full desktop CPU.
As far as I read, Pentium G5400 3.7Ghz, 2 Core 4 threads 4MB, requires only 58w, while the rest of the core series requires 65w at max load, according to Intel's site
(i3 9100 3.6Ghz, 4 Core 6MB
i5 9500 3.0Ghz, 6 Core 9MB
i7 9700 3.0Ghz, 8 Core, 12MB).
I'll be using a Noctua slim fan, so noise won't be in issue.
Still, I feel a bit uncomfortable to put such PCUs in a 90w system (the rest of the components are a mini-itx Mother Board, 16G ram, and 512 M2).
While Intel claims they all will be fine, I wonder which of the 4 is best for such a setup.

I would really apprechiate your thoughts on the matter and which system, eventually will be the most powerful while still being power efficient, silent and reliable.

Last edited:
Solution
Out of all the options you've listed the NUC seems the best route though you will still need to add ram and storage to the cost of the NUC. I could be wrong as some NUC's come as bundles which is why I'd like you to parse a link to the three NUC's you're looking at.

If you're set of Intel then the i7 route for the Antec ISK 110 build will still be a good platform. Please note that going itx most often is an expensive route.

Lutfij

Titan
Out of all the options you've listed the NUC seems the best route though you will still need to add ram and storage to the cost of the NUC. I could be wrong as some NUC's come as bundles which is why I'd like you to parse a link to the three NUC's you're looking at.

If you're set of Intel then the i7 route for the Antec ISK 110 build will still be a good platform. Please note that going itx most often is an expensive route.

Solution
Dec 7, 2019
Yes, all the NUCS require ram and ssd, but those don't present any issues. I just wonder which CPU will fit for the required task.

I7 into the ISK sounds cool. Will it work fine in such a low wattage set-up?