Build Advice Help me build a PC please

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I decided to join because I really need some help, specifically from anyone who both knows their stuff about pc hardware/components and how to compare, match, and choose them, and also enjoys just talking about them - and more importantly has some 'free time' now to help out.

Im going to link a video I just watched, after having spent weeks hemming and hawing over what to do and what to buy.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VAtOmqce4

You might notice it's a mobile link, that's because I'm in a "dire" situation, haha. Macbook pro down - amd GPU failure. Other house laptop down - garbage, cracker jack windows laptop that deserves no mention. So this "research" has to be done on an Android phone.
So, this video re: intel naming schemes helped me confirm that it wasn't just me. And that it's near impossible for even a novice to understand and compare without quite a bit of effort.

To the point, I understand it's probably impossible to get the individual components to build a pc right now. So I'd been looking into refurb think pads and then even thinkcenters (because the screens on T430 and similar are junk, and 14" is too small for the eyes of who I'm mainly getting this computer for - and mine soon, especially after doing all this on a phone screen).

Lenovo.ca (I'm in Canada) has a sale/clearance on now which might end today (they said first week of April - vague). I just can't figuelre out from looking what's the better deal than the other; ideacenter 3i, 5i, ideacenter 5 AMD, I don't get the logic of the pricing etc.
Id also been looking at a refurb thinkcenter m93p with a core i7 something (4th gen someone said) for $300.

What do I need? Email, web browsing with many (12-16) tabs open, hd video playback (local) and streaming, word processing / spreadsheeting, possible minor photo "editing" (I hesitatate to even mention this, for price concerns), and also *to do some of these tasks at the same time (multitask), *and to do them with ease - not to struggle doing them.

Price is hard to say, depends on value of what I'm getting / options of what's available. Up to $700 cad, I'd guess, just because that's the price I was considering on a particular model at lenovo.ca (after tax). But obviously, a refurbed T430 or m93p is only about $300 or so cad.

Im not stuck on "Lenovo", I just want a quality, capable machine, now - haha.

If someone has the time and wants to help me out, either picking available parts to build, or finding and choosing a prebuilt pc, that would be amazing and I'd be grateful.
Note: if bumping the price up slightly get a way better "deal" ie value, that's possible.

I have an older relative trying to do their zoom meetings and such on a galaxy phone screen now, and its killing me (not to mention them.)

Thanks so much for reading. Much appreciated.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Whichever gets me the machine I need. But I thought it was impossible to get any/many pc part at the moment due to shortages from high demand etc, especially GPUs. Maybe it's mostly "gaming" GPUs though?..

Thanks.

In case you're suggesting parts can be found to build a pc, I've always wanted to. But when I wanted to, it would be a pc capable of "gaming" (and competing), and I'm not really in the position to afford that at the moment. Seems like a bad time to build - at least that type of pc - at the moment, too.

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
Whichever gets me the machine I need. But I thought it was impossible to get any/many pc part at the moment due to shortages from high demand etc, especially GPUs. Maybe it's mostly "gaming" GPUs though?..

Thanks.

In case you're suggesting parts can be found to build a pc, I've always wanted to. But when I wanted to, it would be a pc capable of "gaming" (and competing), and I'm not really in the position to afford that at the moment. Seems like a bad time to build - at least that type of pc - at the moment, too.
Correct, it is not possible to buy a gaming GPU

Reactions: Compused

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
I have assembled a pc parts list that should do nicely. The end price is around 480 dollars. Tell me if you need to make adjustments for the budget.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BZPty4

Edit: The reason why it is 16gb ram is because the prices of 8gb ram is not worth it these days and 16gb ram will run you less money but will allow for upgradeability.
Thanks for taking the time to make and share that list with me.

Ill have to see if I can track any of those parts down in/at Canadian online retailers, and compare the price to see if its reasonably... comparable in cad.

Thank you.

Edit: I assume there's no gpu because because there's "integrated" graphics on the CPU?

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to make and share that list with me.

Ill have to see if I can track any of those parts down in/at Canadian online retailers, and compare the price to see if its reasonably... comparable in cad.

Thank you.

Edit: I assume there's no gpu because because there's "integrated" graphics on the CPU?
Yes, any ryzen cpu with a G at the end will have integrated cpu.

Reactions: Compused

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
(Thanks for moving my thread to the right place, mod. I tried to find the best sub forum).

yeetbucket, I managed to get a decent comparison for cad prices of the build parts list you put together. Just over $600, no os, mouse/keyboard of course. Oh, and no case, but I'm not too worried about finding a suitable case.

I wanted to know how this prebuild compares to it (ram excluded, as that could be upgraded): https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/deskto...500-series/IdeaCentre-5-14ARE05/p/99IC9500363

The model with ryzen 3 4300G is what I'm looking at. The other, with ryzen 7 4700G is out of stock.
Watching a couple amd vids, I have a basic idea of their series'.

Please lemme know how that Lenovo would compare to the part list build.

Thanks.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
I might consider a Ryzen 5 - something with integrated graphics; 3400/3600g, 4600g? (looking for a list of which have int. graphics, and also finding one, haha.

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
You might want to wait until zen 3 APU's come out. It might be your best bet to wait for the 5300g. It will give you bounds more performance then the 4300g or the 3300g.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
You might want to wait until zen 3 APU's come out. It might be your best bet to wait for the 5300g. It will give you bounds more performance then the 4300g or the 3300g.
Ok, so apu is essentially amd's "integrated graphics" CPU product. I didn't know that's what xbone etc used - or I forgot if Id heard it before. Cool. I'll look into the upcoming graphics.

I think I'll focus on just a capable pc for my relative in need right now, then I'll build a slightly better pc for myself in the near future.
With that in mind, how do you think that Lenovo ideacentre 5 amd I linked compares to your parts build? Just a slightly better/newer processor on the Lenovo?

Thanks for the help.

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
Ok, so apu is essentially amd's "integrated graphics" CPU product. I didn't know that's what xbone etc used - or I forgot if Id heard it before. Cool. I'll look into the upcoming graphics.

I think I'll focus on just a capable pc for my relative in need right now, then I'll build a slightly better pc for myself in the near future.
With that in mind, how do you think that Lenovo ideacentre 5 amd I linked compares to your parts build? Just a slightly better/newer processor on the Lenovo?

Thanks for the help.
It is pretty much the same, except that is has 8gb of ram for the 4300g, and 16gb of ram for the 4700g and the CPU(4300g, or 4700g) is better then the 3400g I put in my parts list. If you can afford getting a 16gb kit of ram(If you want, not necessary.) after you buying the computer, than you can go for it.