Question help me build my dream machine

d8thstar

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
i have my 2080 ti arriving monday and now i need to put together the other parts around it and was hoping for help!

i know i’ll be getting an 8700k and will be trying to OC to 5ghz.

so with that knowledge, which mobo/cooler (air/water?) should i get? also, ram suggestions would be helpful (16 or 32? how important is ram speed in a gaming rig? etc.)

would like to keep the mobo under 250 if possible.

thanks all!

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
I wouldn't consider myself an expert at hardware selection and compatibility, but I can give some advice and recommendations.

With such high-end graphics card, you will need a high-end processor, psu, and cooling method to accommodate the system's total functionality. For example, a strong graphics card can be held back by a weak processor or too little memory.

As for a mobo, you should choose one compatible and affordable that will fit the case you plan to use. (I recommend NZXT's cases)
I have no experience with water cooling, I've always relied on fans as putting a liquid inside a computer scares me tbh thus I can't give a recommendation.
Ram is pretty simple to shop for, just make sure it's the right type. Depending on the type of games you plan to play, more ram can mean more power or "smoothness" when playing (ie less stuttering).

As for overclocking, I would take extreme caution because if one hardware part is not on par with others, the weaker one(s) can be damaged very easily. I tried overclocking my system once when I didn't have enough ram and, somehow, I fried a couple of my ram sticks.

I personally can't tell you exactly what parts to buy as I don't want to tell you to buy something expensive and have it not be compatible (compatibility is my weak point). Hopefully I was somewhat helpful.

d8thstar

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
thanks for the input. here are the two boards i am leaning to, in order:

msi mpg z390 gaming pro carbon

asus to strix z90-e

also the 8700k with a dark rock pro 4 cooler.

thoughts? still need help with ram selection, any input?

thanks

TRENDING THREADS