Question Help me build my new RIG!

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hello everyone

Hope you all are safe and in best of health.

I have posted a thread one month back asking whether its good to buy a new PC or wait, at that time the opinion was to wait to see the new parts that will be released later this year, however, now after the release of intel 10th gen I got disappointed that it does not make that huge upgrade compared to the 9th gen and it also requires a different MB other than the one that is being used for the 9th Gen, and that new motherboard is not expected to serve for long maybe 1 more gen ahead like 11th gen only, for these reasons, I have made up my mind for the first time in my life to build up my new rig using AMD CPUs. I have read a lot of good reviews about Ryzen, so I doubt that I will regret such a decision.

Now to get to the point, I recently have this built which I bought in 2015:

CPU : Intel I5 6600K 3.5Ghz (Oc'd to 4.5)
MB: Asus Z170-A
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 2400MHz
GPU: Asus Strix 980ti with AIO liquid cooler
SSD: 2X 500Gb and 250GB
HDD: 1X WD 3TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750W B2 80+
SFX: Sound BlasterX G6

I am using my PC mainly for gaming around 75% of its use is for gaming I have 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor and seek to fully utilize that I don't game @ 1080p.

I am thinking to have this new PC using these parts, (Will include the prices from Amazon so that you can advise whether prices are fair or became higher due to the pandemic):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6C/12T (for $172.34) (I picked this one for its good price and good results in Benchmark, and later might upgrade it to Ryzen 4000 when needed).
MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 (for $351.78) (I picked this one for its design and features, and I want it to serve well specially that it will also support Ryzen 4000 later on)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V (for $180)
GPU: For GPU I didn't decide anything yet as I am waiting for the release of RTX 3080 if it will be coming this year. Might just keep the 980ti til then.
SSD: 2X WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe Internal SSD (for $239.98)
PSU: Will use my same EVGA 750w B2 80+
SFX: will use the same SBX G6

Total will be $944.1 without GPU.

Later I might have VR device like Oculus Quest to play VR games using the same built but that will be later not anytime soon.

So what do you think? Please give me your advice!

Thing is, after one more generation both Intel and AMD have will have to drop all CPU and motherboard support and start from scratch as it will be DDR5 RAM time. The X570 you are planning to buy cannot support DDR5.
Your build is still potent enough. The smart thing here is to get a 6700k or 7700k cheap from used market and wait it out till DDR5.
Else if you compare core per core, the new Intel CPUs are better value and still outperforms AMD in gaming. They have actually unlocked hyperthreading in all their chips and priced them around AMDs, and knowing Intel, thats a huge leap.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/future-hardware-releases/

Last edited:
Reactions: mctrader07

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Thing is, after one more generation both Intel and AMD have will have to drop all CPU and motherboard support and start from scratch as it will be DDR5 RAM time. The X570 you are planning to buy cannot support DDR5.
Your build is still potent enough. The smart thing here is to get a 6700k or 7700k cheap from used market and wait it out till DDR5.
Else if you compare core per core, the new Intel CPUs are better value and still outperforms AMD in gaming. They have actually unlocked hyperthreading in all their chips and priced them around AMDs, and knowing Intel, thats a huge leap.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/future-hardware-releases/

Appreciate your advice!

Well I understand that intel outperformed AMD in gaming, but I have read that AMD promised to make the Ryzen 4000 good enough to match if not beat the intel even in gaming performance. On the other hand, intel 9th 10th and 11th gen wont be much of an upgrade and almost each will need new MB.. that's not a good thing at all for me, at first when I purchased the Z170 I was thinking that it will last for few generations ahead from intel but then I got disappointed that well if you want to get 8th and 9th gen then change your MB and pay more, now they are repeating the same. At least for AMD one MB can support a lot of gens so for me to have my new rig serve me for 5 to 6 years i will still have the option to upgrade to 3700x 3900x 3950x and 4000 without the need to change anything else.. so why should I go with intel and pay more and more! Plus I also read that having intel or Ryzen wont make difference for gaming on 1440p because the whole pressure will be over the GPU.

And DDR5 some people mentioned that it wont be a huge need for gamers to upgrade their PCs for. Actually DDR4 should be doing well for years of gaming

What do you think?

Appreciate your advice!

Well I understand that intel outperformed AMD in gaming, but I have read that AMD promised to make the Ryzen 4000 good enough to match if not beat the intel even in gaming performance. On the other hand, intel 9th 10th and 11th gen wont be much of an upgrade and almost each will need new MB.. that's not a good thing at all for me, at first when I purchased the Z170 I was thinking that it will last for few generations ahead from intel but then I got disappointed that well if you want to get 8th and 9th gen then change your MB and pay more, now they are repeating the same. At least for AMD one MB can support a lot of gens so for me to have my new rig serve me for 5 to 6 years i will still have the option to upgrade to 3700x 3900x 3950x and 4000 without the need to change anything else.. so why should I go with intel and pay more and more! Plus I also read that having intel or Ryzen wont make difference for gaming on 1440p because the whole pressure will be over the GPU.

And DDR5 some people mentioned that it wont be a huge need for gamers to upgrade their PCs for. Actually DDR4 should be doing well for years of gaming

What do you think?
You didn't get the point. Intel 11th gen. came after Ryzen 3rd gen. with better performance. Intel 12th gen. will come after Ryzen 4th gen. with backward support and still better performance. By the time Intel 13th. gen. and Ryzen 5th gen. comes, all the previous platforms will be obsolete. Technically, Intel will still stay ahead in gaming performance at the end of gen. support. Doesnt mean Ryzen is any slouch. You cant go wrong either way.
At 1440p some games still doesnt reach the GPU limit, depends on what card and refresh rate you are rocking though. But beyond 1440p the difference is pretty much mitigated.

As for DDR5, with emerging hardware gaming API and scaling-coding pattern also tends to go forward. For current games, it might not be required but at some point of time down the line after its launch, it will definitely start to show its effect.

Reactions: mctrader07

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
You didn't get the point. Intel 11th gen. came after Ryzen 3rd gen. with better performance. Intel 12th gen. will come after Ryzen 4th gen. with backward support and still better performance. By the time Intel 13th. gen. and Ryzen 5th gen. comes, all the previous platforms will be obsolete. Technically, Intel will still stay ahead in gaming performance at the end of gen. support. Doesnt mean Ryzen is any slouch. You cant go wrong either way.
At 1440p some games still doesnt reach the GPU limit, depends on what card and refresh rate you are rocking though. But beyond 1440p the difference is pretty much mitigated.

As for DDR5, with emerging hardware gaming API and scaling-coding pattern also tends to go forward. For current games, it might not be required but at some point of time down the line after its launch, it will definitely start to show its effect.

I am with you in all that you have said, there will always be new releases every year, but now for me, what do you suggest? my gtx 980ti does not play all games using ultra settings with 1440p, in certain games it does not even hit the 40 FPS when on ultra and 1440p. It could be playable but I use my PC for gaming so I want to max everything when gaming and get the best out of every game I play.
So I will buy a new GPU for sure! and that's why I am waiting for rtx3080, and when it becomes available my current cpu and rams will bottleneck that gpu, I mean even 2080ti will not be that good with my current cpu and rams PC-Builds website shows 68% bottleneck caused by the cpu if I was going to use the 2080ti.

And for buying a 2nd hand 7700k or 6700k wont actually happen, I prefer to have new one in sealed box, so does it worth it to buy the 6700k for around $258.40 now? I doubt it will serve for another 5 years maybe 1 or 2 years more and I might also need new rams faster than the 2400 that I have. So I am confused now :/

BTW I just noticed that the price of $258.40 is for a used i7 6700k and not new :(

Last edited:

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
You know
I have made up my mind, I will go with Ryzen 3600, X570 MB and the rest that I have mentioned.

If m gonna wait for new releases i will spend my life waiting cause everytime a new thing is coming.. so I will work on what I really need rather than waiting for things that I might not need at all.

DDR4 with good speed won't disappoint me in gaming and will serve for years, and also when ryzen 4000 is released I can upgrade when its in good price. So why should I wait? The only important thing for me that worth waiting is the GPU. My old one have to be changed and if i changed it with a high end one i will get struggled by the old cpu and slow ram so i find it good to get new cpu, mb and ram now and later will get the gpu when rtx 3080 is released or 2080 when its prices goes down upon the release of the new 3080.

Thanks for your help anyway !

You know
I have made up my mind, I will go with Ryzen 3600, X570 MB and the rest that I have mentioned.

If m gonna wait for new releases i will spend my life waiting cause everytime a new thing is coming.. so I will work on what I really need rather than waiting for things that I might not need at all.

DDR4 with good speed won't disappoint me in gaming and will serve for years, and also when ryzen 4000 is released I can upgrade when its in good price. So why should I wait? The only important thing for me that worth waiting is the GPU. My old one have to be changed and if i changed it with a high end one i will get struggled by the old cpu and slow ram so i find it good to get new cpu, mb and ram now and later will get the gpu when rtx 3080 is released or 2080 when its prices goes down upon the release of the new 3080.

Thanks for your help anyway !
Yeah, you can go for it as long as you are focused on the Ryzen 4000 upgrade. Else the cards you are talking about will struggle with even a 3600.