[SOLVED] Help me build Photo editing machine

Aug 21, 2019
Hi, I'm looking to build a computer for

• professional photography: Photoshop and light room
  • some video editing (camtasia studio - not nearly as demanding as adobe premiere)
  • some basic gaming
  • Runs quiet (near silent at IDLE)
  • White PC Case
  • My budget is around $1000
What hardware would you recommend that could fulfill this goal?

I've read articles on video editing and photo editing and so far I've thought of these options

Harddrive: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
CPU: I think Intel over ryzen: Should i get i7 8700K or a 9th generation?
GPU: not sure, but big fans and close to silent operation at idle
Power supply: quiet preferably.
Ram: 32BG
Motherboard: Not sure but fan control and USB 3 or higher would be nice.

I'd really appreciate your help on this:

Ideally i'd like the option of being able to have a low power consumption at idle, or even
turn off the GPU but I understand that big machines just use more power, even at idle
when preforming basic tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
In theory, it's true. Intel will perform better over Ryzen for most work-related software. However, Ryzen will give you shorter rendering times since it's multi-threaded performance is better. Considering the software you'll be running, I don't think you'll see any differences going with Intel, so personally, I would opt for one of those new 3rd Gen Ryzen 7/9 since there'll be some gaming involved.

As for the GPU, the only thing that factors this choice is the games you'll play since none of those programs will benefit from a better GPU.

Since you're aiming for such a high-end CPU and 32Gb of RAM, I don't think you'll be able to fit a good Graphics Card at 1,000$.

This is the best I could do whilst trying to match your criteria...
In theory, it's true. Intel will perform better over Ryzen for most work-related software. However, Ryzen will give you shorter rendering times since it's multi-threaded performance is better. Considering the software you'll be running, I don't think you'll see any differences going with Intel, so personally, I would opt for one of those new 3rd Gen Ryzen 7/9 since there'll be some gaming involved.

As for the GPU, the only thing that factors this choice is the games you'll play since none of those programs will benefit from a better GPU.

Since you're aiming for such a high-end CPU and 32Gb of RAM, I don't think you'll be able to fit a good Graphics Card at 1,000$.

This is the best I could do whilst trying to match your criteria:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($146.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.87 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1248.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 06:12 EDT-0400

Reactions: interstellar3
Solution
Aug 21, 2019

This is the best I could do whilst trying to match your criteria:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($146.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.87 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1248.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 06:12 EDT-0400

Very nice assembly, you did all that for me? :D

So far i add this to my shopping list:

PSU: I think i might go Corsair RM750x, 750W PSU (it's also 80+ platinum certified and fans are passive idle)

CPU: The only thing I don't like about Ryzen 7 3700X is the power draw at IDLE, https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3700x_review,8.html
IT probably outperforms intel i7 8700K or i5 960,.

PC CASE: i would need the case fans to be very quiet, so replace face cases with Silent wings 3 or Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 140mm I know that Silent Base 801 can fit them, I don't know about Fractal R6 or NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

CPU , GPU and Moterboard: Still unsure what to get here, but i appreciate your effort in finding a combination that works well together.

Definitely outperforms both of those CPUs. I know the power draw is a bit high on idle but you honestly won't notice it too much on your electricity bill.

The case is really up to preference on what you want the design to be. Unless you're going for cases like those special noise dampening BeQuiet cases, there won't be much of a difference.

If your budget is really 1,000$. Than I would simply just not go for a good GPU at this point. Since this PC is primarily for your work (and occasional gaming). I would highly suggest prioritizing a good CPU and motherboard, getting the amount of RAM you wanted as well as storage and good PSU.

You can always start with a 4Gb version of the RX580, which can be found as low as under 150$. Won't get high graphics in games, but you'll have a great work PC.

Reactions: interstellar3
Aug 21, 2019
Definitely outperforms both of those CPUs. I know the power draw is a bit high on idle but you honestly won't notice it too much on your electricity bill.

The case is really up to preference on what you want the design to be. Unless you're going for cases like those special noise dampening BeQuiet cases, there won't be much of a difference.

If your budget is really 1,000$. Than I would simply just not go for a good GPU at this point. Since this PC is primarily for your work (and occasional gaming). I would highly suggest prioritizing a good CPU and motherboard, getting the amount of RAM you wanted as well as storage and good PSU.

You can always start with a 4Gb version of the RX580, which can be found as low as under 150$. Won't get high graphics in games, but you'll have a great work PC.

I am definitely considering your advice: How about this option for CPU and Motherboard?
CPU Ryzen 5 3600 I
don't overclock and i can save a bit on my budget.
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: B450 GAMING PRO CARBON