Question Help me check for incompatibilities

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello, first I’ll try to give some background info so you guys could better understand my dilemma so please bare with me. I am trying to upgrade my 8700k to an i9 12900k, which means I’ll have to replace the following:

1-my case (since it’s an atx case that doesn’t have space for a 360mm radiator and only has a bunch of 200mm fan slots besides the 140mm aio slot In the back)
2-my z370 aorus gaming 7 motherboard
3-ram (for ddr5)
4- aio ( my 140mm Corsair aio is getting old and I have a feeling it can’t support a new i9. It also doesn’t support lga 1700 socket).

I’ve looked around to see which z690 board is the best for this cpu and a few sources mentioned Aorus master z690 (an Eatx board that won’t fit my atx case) but I’m planning to get it. Next I looked for an aio that supports lga 1700 out of the box and found Corsair icue h150i elite. My biggest problem now is finding a case that fits everything and comes with at least 3 fans . My msi gaming z 3080 is around 323mm long so I have to keep that in mind when picking a case too. I also have a Corsair hx 1200w psu that I have to make sure that it also fits whatever case I go with. Here are some of the cases I looked at
1- asus rog strix Helios gx601 rgb mid tower case
2- asus tuf gaming GT501 white mid tower case (I’m leaning more towards this one)
(I would like a full tower case instead but couldnt find any full tower Eatx cases for some reason)

Please tell me if you see any incompatibilities with anything, not just the case. Any other advice including case suggestions are also appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
case i'd be looking at is the be quiet! Silent Base 802.
fully modular with high airflow, silent, or mix of panels for multiple configurations, with great radiator/ fan placement options all around.

these past few years Gigabyte has fallen off in terms of reliability and quality so maybe just look for a better ATX from AsRock, MSI, etc.

any decent AIO will either include supported mounting kits or will supply them for no added fee.
check out Lian Li, NZXT, be quiet!, even DeepCool has stepped up their quality over recent years.
i try to avoid Corsair cooling products because i do not like iCUE software.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
case i'd be looking at is the be quiet! Silent Base 802.
fully modular with high airflow, silent, or mix of panels for multiple configurations, with great radiator/ fan placement options all around.

these past few years Gigabyte has fallen off in terms of reliability and quality so maybe just look for a better ATX from AsRock, MSI, etc.

any decent AIO will either include supported mounting kits or will supply them for no added fee.
check out Lian Li, NZXT, be quiet!, even DeepCool has stepped up their quality over recent years.
i try to avoid Corsair cooling products because i do not like iCUE software.

thanks for the reply, is there anything in particular that’s wrong with this Aorus master board? I don’t really know anything about NZXT or MSI’s z690 boards so which high end board do you recommend in particular ? Msi MPG z690 carbon WiFi maybe? Is that one of msi’s high end z690 boards?

I know the icue software is annoying but I’ve only ever used Corsair products for cooling so I would rather just stick with the devil I know in this case.

I really wanted to get a Lian Li case but all these modular cases look complicated to me and I don’t have a lot of time figuring out how to use them. Lastly, do you see anything wrong in terms of incompatibility for all the parts I picked? (Assuming I just went with the asus tuf gaming gt501 case with either msi mpg z690 carbon or aorus master z690 along with Corsair h150i elite)

Last edited:
Msi MPG z690 carbon WiFi maybe? Is that one of msi’s high end z690 boards?
definitely a nice one.

but make sure you also upgrade to DDR5 RAM if you choose this version.

check if they have a version of it that offers DDR4 RAM if you plan on staying on this platform.
asus tuf gaming gt501
besides it being ugly as sin with some stupid looking straps on top,
it is also pretty modular so if you have an issue with the Lian Li being that way you should also avoid this case.

if going for anything on these lines i would still recommend the Silent Base 802. they come packaged in a pretty standard setup which you can then modify as you wish to accommodate any future changes you may want to make.
I’ve only ever used Corsair products for cooling so I would rather just stick with the devil I know in this case
many Corsair coolers come with lower quality fans.
make sure any you choose come with high airflow high air pressure fans with lower noise output.